Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I'm a 19 year old male and in July I went abstinent for a period

I'm a 19 year old male and in July I went abstinent for a period of 19 days. Since then I have been exhibiting most of the signs of sexual exhaustion.. Low libido, anxiousness, depression, and I also developed a form of OCD in that time. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms of sexual exhaustion, low libido, anxiousness, depression you are having since july is most probably due to psychological causes.
It includes: stress, anxiety, depression, guilt, Low self-esteem, nerves – especially about performing, relationship problems - especially if you’re no longer keen in your partner.
Certain feelings can interfere with normal sexual function, including feeling nervous about or self-conscious about sex; feeling stressed either at home or at work.
Various tests like ultrasound,neurological evaluation,Dynamic infusion cavernosometry and cavernosography (DICC),Nocturnal tumescence test may be done by your doctor to rule out other causes.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Anti anxiety or/and anti depressant medications will be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So my issues are caused by a psychological problem, not sexual exhaustion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Dear customer
Thank you for replying back & sorry for the late reply.
Yes,most likely & most probably the cause is psychological.
There does not seem to be any physical cause or disease here.
As described above neurological evaluation,Dynamic infusion cavernosometry(DIC) and cavernosography (DICC),Nocturnal tumescence test may be done by your doctor to rule out other causes.
Several medicines can make cure your symptoms.Specific members of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI) and the benzodiazepine families of medications are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat depression & anxiety.
So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was worried that in my abstinence period I de regulated my hormone levels or something. I do remember before the abstinence that I felt depressed however after the abstinence it became worse when my libido dropped. My ereftions feel weak now.. Can psychological problems really cause erectile dysfunction? Also do you think it's possible that my abstinence and me developing ocd are linked?
Dear customer
Thank you for replying back
No,hormonal levels are not affected by your abstinence period.
Yes,psychological causes like stress & depression are the most common causes of erectile dysfunction(ED) & low libido.
Other causes of ED are:diabetes,hypertension (high blood pressure),cardiovascular diseases,cigarette smoking,nerve or spinal cord damage,low testosterone levels,certain medications.
As you are only 19 year old & considering your symptoms & recent history of depression & anxiety,the most probable cause is psychological.
So the best thing for you is to make an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What steps can I take by myself to improve my symptoms?
Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
You can try the following home remedies:
-One of the most well known home remedies for erectile dysfunction is L-arginine. The main sources of L-arginine are meat, fish, poultry and other dairy products.
-You need stress relieving techniques-Breathe slowly, deeply, and well. Relaxation begins with slow, deep breathing from your diaphragm.
-Think positive.Positive thinking will replace negative & waste thoughts & will prevent over thinking.
-Ginkgo, a herb is also one of the best home remedies for erectile dysfunction.
All these will help you greatly to treat the ED.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about exercise?
Dear,
Yes you should go for regular exercise atleast 3-4times in a week.
It would help to resolve stress and anxiety issue.
Such physical activity would result in production of endorphins—chemicals in the brain that act as natural painkillers—and also improve the ability to sleep, which in turn reduces stress.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Obviously there is a lot of hype about the use of protein shakes.. Should I use them in conjunction with my workouts or just workout alone. Would it make any difference in the improvements hormonally that I gain from working out.. Such as improved testosterone. Or would working out alone still provide me with the benefits of endorphins and higher testosterone.
Dear customer,
Well, you can use protein shakes pre-workout. It would be helpful.
You should take plenty of fluids, Take healthy and well balanced diet.
Take fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will exercise alone, without protein shakes, still increase my testosterone?
Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.
Still it it is not confirmed that you have low testosterone levels.
You need blood tests to know your testosterone level.The normal level of total testosterone should be 23.14 nmol/L.
Exercise alone does not have much role to increase the testosterone levels.
Low testosterone levels in the body can be supplemented by hormone replacement with testosterone. Testosterone replacement therapy can be prescribed as an intramuscular injection usually given on a biweekly basis, as a patch or gel placed on the skin, or as putty that is applied to the gums of the mouth.
I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry one final question and then I'll rate this. I'm going to get my hormones tested to see if they're are any physical causes.. However wouldn't of depression and anxiety de stabilised my hormones anyway?
Dear customer
Thank you for asking another follow up question.
Yes the home measures & steps described above can normalize your hormones only upto certain extent.
If the testosterone hormones are very low,then the supplements need to be taken from outside.
So my best advise for you is that get tested your hormonal levels & rule out other physical causes.
Thank you and good luck.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician