Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I have to keep taking deep breaths or yawning to get enough

Customer Question

I have to keep taking deep breaths or yawning to get enough air in my lungs. This has been going on for over 24 hours now.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr.Customer:

When you are having trouble breathing then it really needs to be seen immediately by a doctor. Even though you are able to breath you are having symptoms of problems with your breathing.

Dr.Customer:

Is this trouble just that you are feeling like you are not getting enough breath, or is it because you are getting dizzy or having other symptoms along with it?

Dr.Customer:

My main concern is that either you have a problem with your blood not holding on to enough oxygen to fill your body, or that your electrolytes are not in balance.

Dr.Customer:

Can you tell me how old you are? What medical problems do you have? What medications do you take? What is the climate you are in now?

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : It's just not getting enough breath, no other symptoms. I went to walk in centre last night. Chest sounded fine and oxygen 100%. What could this be??
Dr.Customer:

Did they do any blood work at the center?

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : I am 39. No medical conditions. Only taking contraceptive pill.
JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : No, no blood work
Dr.Customer:

I think you need to go back right away.

Dr.Customer:

The contraceptive puts you at increased risk for a blood clot in your lungs. That might make you feel breathless.

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : They sent me home and said not to worry about it.
Dr.Customer:

On contraceptives and abnormal breathing would have me calling an ambulance.

Dr.Customer:

I don't understand why they did that. They didn't do any tests for blood clots, nor did they do any tests to see if there was anything abnormal in your blood.

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : Even though I have been like this over 24 hours?
Dr.Customer:

Also, have you been on any trips lately.

Dr.Customer:

Yes, even though it has been like this for so long.

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : No, not been on any trips
Dr.Customer:

If there is a clot then it can keep collecting more cells making the clot even bigger.

Dr.Customer:

If you were my sister I'd have you in the emergency department now.

Dr.Customer:

1. A simple blood test can tell many things

Dr.Customer:

2. An x-ray may be appropriate and might find if there is something going on around your lungs, but more importantly if there are any signs of a clot.

Dr.Customer:

Part of the blood testing will be checking for how long it takes for your blood to clot

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : Ok, I will try to get an appointment for tomorrow
Dr.Customer:

Please try to get an appointment for today.

Dr.Customer:

Also, if you are having any type of pain at all in your chest, if you are having any increase in shortness of breath, you have no choice but to IMMEDIATELY call for an ambulance.

JACUSTOMER-vgcn6kin- : I can't get an appointment today. I'm not in any pain
Dr.Customer:

Just please be careful. Any increasing shortness of breath at all. If you try to exercise (even lifting something) and it continues to make it difficult to breath etc you must go be checked out right away.

Dr.Customer:

I would hope that at the very least the doctors do a blood test and an x-ray.

Dr.Customer:

If those come up negative they may ask you to see a pulmonologist to make sure that there is nothing going on in your lungs (which might be less of an emergency).

Dr.Customer:

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. Even after you complete the payment (the only way we get paid is if a positive rating is done) you will not have to pay anything extra to continue this conversation.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, update - had lots of blood tests. No need for an X-ray as had one a few weeks ago and was fine. No blood clots, no heart failure, no infection. Only test that showed anything was low ferratin so on iron tablets now. I have been taking for 5 days but still feel the same. Any thoughts on how long I should give it before I go back? Also booked in for spirometry test but not til end December.
Thank you for getting back to me here.
Low iron levels mean a lower capacity for your blood to carry oxygen. That can lead to exactly the symptoms you are having - taking deep breaths to try to flood the blood cells that have enough iron to carry the oxygen. Taking the supplements should help - I'd give it 2-4 weeks before expecting to see a real change.
I'm assuming that you remembered to write because you are still experiencing the same symptoms?
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your spirometry tests. Hopefully you will get some relief from the increase in iron levels, and then I'd love to know if there is anything abnormal in the spirometry testing.
Do you have any more questions right now?
G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, that's lovely. Will give it a few more weeks then and see how I am feeling then. Yes, symptoms still exactly the same, will update you once I have further results.
Okay.
Please feel free to come back with any additional questions.
Also, please know that even after you rate my service (hopefully as excellent) you can continue to return to this conversation without any additional charges.
G-d Bless