DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My wife, age 62, has a double vision problem diagnosed by a

Customer Question

My wife, age 62, has a double vision problem diagnosed by a consultant neurologist as static isolated left 6th nerve palsy which seems to have developed after a high temperature acute UTI. The neurologist recommendation was for lateral rectus surgery and referred her back to the Ophthalmic Consultant at our local hospital who had suggested that they didn't have anyone who specialised in that sort of operation when she saw him back in May. Three months after seeing the neurologist we still cant get anything further from the hospital.
My inclination is that she needs to be seen by a specialist eye hospital - should we just go direct to one and if so how do we chose and find a consultant. What is the procedure for being referred. We would consider private consultation to save further time. Your advice would be welcomed. Many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mills,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would not recommend surgery, until she is examined by an opthalmologist.
This referral comes from her GP.
Privately, see this web page
http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/privatespecialists/find-a-doctor/ophthalmic-surgeons/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has seen her GP and Optician ( who originally referred her to the GP). She has had MRI to rule out tumour etc.,and was referred to Consultant Opthalmologist at local hospital. She underwent several tests to chart the degree and extent of aberrant vision. The Consultant then referred her to the neurologist to iron out neurological disorder. The neurologist has written back to the Consultant and there it has stopped. We've chased it up and had a lame excuse but he previously said that if requiring surgery they didn't currently have anyone with that specialist experience although they may be getting someone... Hence my query about wasting further time in this direction and whether to go straight to an eye hospital.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
An optician is not a medical doctor. An opthalmologist is. Hence my answer above.
I don't know that you can go straight to the eye hospital, but if you can , do so.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.