Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr ive just all of a sudden got a panicky feeling ..

Hello Dr ive just all of a sudden got a panicky feeling .. I was fine until my mind wondered and started thinking about my heart.. Now I feel all panicky, lightheaded and as though something bad is going to happen.. My hr is normal.. Is this just my anxiety playing up?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This just hit you out of the blue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only when I started thinking what if I have a heart problem
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Why today did you start ruminating over all that? And what are you saying to yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was sat in my car during my lunch break and started thinking about the tests ive had and then about the cardiac mri that I'm going to have and what if that picks up something else
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for not remembering but are you getting any health anxiety therapy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes cbt
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And when did you last see your therapist and what are you doing with that outside of the sessions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Saw her 2 weeks ago.. I Try to practice the techniques she has shown me to help me in situations like today but doesn't always work
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So tell me what of those techinques have your tried today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Things like focussing on something else.. Just a few mindfulness excercises.. Like I picked up my apple and watched that , the feel the texture etc..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That really isn't CBT Shazad, although it's something one can try. Is that all your therapist has suggested you do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.. But it's the only thing that sprung to mind.. I find it difficult to digest everything during the sessions.. She gives me excercises to work through but I don't get the time do them
Most of the time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exercised like taking your uncomfortable thoughts and arguing against them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes something like that.. So u think this is just anxiety playing up?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely. Look--both your cardiologist and I have told you there's really nothing wrong with your heart right now and so there's no danger of sudden death or a serious arrhythmia or a heart attack. So you should take that and keep repeating it to yourself, telling yourself that in this case we are more knowledgeable than you are. You're fine right now, you just need to take a deep breath and calm down
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.. Means a lot :-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure my friend--any time