DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

central neck ache tender collarbone

past 4 months ive had mild aching from the low centre of my neck thyroid area..and in that region just below and across collarbone (feels warm) sometimes my thyroid centre feels like sharp aching stabs ?

you should also know that i have been advise to go through with a hemithyroidectomy because FNA test resulted in THY3F

I have no idea whether the ache and results have a common factor or not...or is it possible i may have subacute thyroiditis or similar?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is impossible to say why you have this pain.
If you have been advised the surgery, you should do it.
A scan of the neck, and spine, can show if there is another problem.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

surely there is a more informed answer? why is it impossible to render any facts that may be relevant to my question? such as is it possible that a malignant or benign thyroid nodule could cause the symptoms I describe?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Your question sat for quite some time in another category and no one answered it.
I answered promptly with an "initial answer" when I was later alerted to it in medical, in addition asking you to supply more information as needed, or ask more as you have done.
A thyroid nodule should not cause any of the symptom you have unless it is massive and visible. Usually these are painless.
A nodule with the findings you describe dictates removal, as you have been advised.
I am curious as to what your doctors have told you about this pain, and if you have had a scan of the cervical spine?
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you.

I asked the senior consultant /surgeon about this, aching, sometimes feels something is stuck in my throat and more recently my neck at front intermittently heats up ? very warm. However he said " he didn't know if related or not" ?? ....i can say that leaning forwards arms out stretched or under strenuous lifting, the aching is much worse and emanates from the centre of thyroid to collarbones .

it is good to hear you think it is not related however i have since read that neck pain and difficulty swallowing CAN be symptoms of throid cancer, again i also read that these symptoms also present with a benign nodule also..so am not at all sure what to think anymore to be honest.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I can not examine you.
Throat cancer would be obvious on an exam of the throat during a physical.
I see no reason you would have throat cancer.
, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Final question
I had a ultrasound of neck and around
Would cancer have show. Up on that ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Throat cancer...of the throat itself, would not necessarily show up on ultrsound, but a visual inspection of the throat would detect it.
Your symptoms could in fact be from acid reflux with referred pain, which is fairly common.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't suffer with acid
This all began when I started weight training
So I guess what out me off the idea of being a simple
Strain was the fact my thyroid started aching
Anyhow I'm in for surgery January hopefully
All will be well
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
Any questions.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.