DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE THE DOUBLE MUTATION WHICH CAUSES

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE THE DOUBLE MUTATION WHICH CAUSES HAEMACHROMATOSIS. MY FERRITIN LEVEL WAS 700 ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO. I HAVE HAD IT CHECKED TODAY AND IT IS 530. ALL MY OTHER BLOOD TESTS ARE NORMAL. I HAVE BEEN TOLD I NEED VENESECTIONS TO REDUCE MY IRON LEVELS, WHICH I THINK WILL BE WEEKLY TO START WITH. I AM NOW VERY WORRIED. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE FUTURE ? I AM MALE 58 YEARS OLD AND OTHERWISE IN GOOD HEALTH.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What it means for the future is that you will prevent liver damage, damage to other organs, and that you will live a normal life.....if untreated it can cause all sorts of problems, some fatal.
If treated and monitored...no problems to speak of.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is 530 a high level ? How often will I need to have venesections ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Weekly to start, then monthly.
Yes it is high but what they will also be watching is iron.
Here is a good section on treatment.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/177216-treatment#aw2aab6b6b3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. So apart from the inconvenience I really shouldn't be worried about this ? Also can I control this myself ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No you should not be worried , unless you don't get treated.
No you can not control this yourself.