Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi. My 22 year old daughter had a prolapsed lumbar disc but

Hi. My 22 year old daughter had a prolapsed lumbar disc but her symptoms indicated something more, according to doctors i.e extreme fatigue, blurred vision in left eye with a feeling like 'brain freeze' behind the eye and in the temple, cold left hand and left foot, extreme weakness in left side of body with left leg 'giving way', reduced hearing in left ear and reduced sense of smell in left nostril. She also attended A&E at this time with extreme stomach pain in the sternum area which she described as a sharp knife like pain and a crushing feeling which made in difficult to breath as inward breath made the pain worse.
She had an MRI scan on her brain which the doctor reported as showing nothing. He says that her symptoms don't indicate MS but I feel that they do match lots of the symptoms I have read about. Is a MRI always correct? Could early onset of MS not show on an MRI. Do you think we should seek further advice or 'wait and see?'
Jacqui
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

if the MRI scan of the brain didn't show MS, then MS would be unlikely

Dr. David :

she could have blocked sinuses on one side causing decrease smell on one nostril.

Dr. David :

has she had her thyroid levels checked?

Dr. David :

and blood testing to check for autoimmune disorders like lupus

Dr. David :

with blood tests for ANA and ESR and C reactive protein and anti DNA antibody testing?

Dr. David :

she also needs a spine MRI scan if she has one sided weakness.

Dr. David :

was her doctors able to document this weakness on their examination?

Dr. David :

she could have bad stomach acid causing stomach and sternum pain.

Dr. David :

does she have panic type symptoms or excessive anxiety disorder symptoms?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Hi. I don't believe she has been tested for any of the illnesses you mention although she had bloods taken when she saw the neurologist but I don't know what for. The neurologist ordered the MRI scan to check for MS but now that this has come back negative they are not investigating further. She was given antacid medication for the stomach pain but I consider it very coincidental that this occured at the same time she had a prolapsed disc and lack of sensation and weakness in her left side. I wonder if we should leave things and see if she fully recovers - it has been 4/5 weeks now. If she has Lupus or any of the other conditions you mention will these show signs of recovery or continue until treated?

Dr. David :

lupus most likely would continue on with symptoms until treated. but it can be very difficult to diagnose in some patients.

Dr. David :

hopefully her symptoms will get better with some more time.