Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am suffering from a severe headache cold sweats and shaking

Customer Question

I am suffering from a severe headache cold sweats and shaking I has been on an alcohol binge and stopped 3 days ago I have hypertension diabetes and severe depression also a history of alcohol abuse and an alcohol withdrawal seizure
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We spoke yesterday. I guess you didn't go to the emergency room? If not, how can I help you today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because symptoms are worsening I called for help yesterday and today and was advises to kwt the symptoms take their course
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did you actually talk to a doctor Maureen? And have you checked your blood pressure and your blood glucose level?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I spoke with doctor can't check bp but bm is 23.4 at present
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry Maureen--are you saying your blood glucose level is 23.4 mmol/L?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea that's the reading 22.4 been climbing all day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What medication do you take for your diabetes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Insulin 4 times daily
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you been eating and drinking fluids and taking your insulin today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes had fluids not much appetite though had all my insulin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Maureen--and maybe the doctor you talked to didn't know about your readings--but you absolutely need to get to the ER no matter what you were told before. You're likely in diabetic ketoacidosis in addition to going through the alcohol withdrawal. That's really a double whammy and very, very dangerous. You need to be in the hospital now--no question about it--and if they won't send an ambulance have someone drive you there or if push comes to shove, drive there yourself.