Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago he had

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago he had a pet scan which showed it hadnt spread he was then on a waiting list for 5 weeks for an operation to remove the tumor. Wgen they took him down to surgery today tge said it has spread to the lynthnodes and his windpipe so they havent dine anything. I dont understand y not remove the tymor the cancerous nodes.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

I am very sorry for your Dads diagnosis.

Dr. K. :

The pet scan is not 100 percent accurate and if the cancer is in the lymph nodes and brochial tubes, it was already there 5 weeks ago.

Dr. K. :

Lung cancer can be staged clinically for example by pet scan.

Dr. K. :

When many patients get to surgery, the actual staging by pathologic staging, is more advanced and much worse.

Dr. K. :

This is true even when there is not a 5 week delay.

Dr. K. :

From what you describe this is a stage 3 b lung cancer and surgery is not the treatment. It cannot cure the cancer. Chemo and radiation is the treatment.

Dr. K. :

Im very sorry.

Customer: What sort of time scale are we looking at
Dr. K. :

For patients with this type of advanced lung cancer in whom surgery is not an option only about a quarter live three years. with radiation and chemotherapy the average survival is about a year. Im sorry, Its not good news.