Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I went for various blood tests last week, in the most part

Customer Question

Hi I went for various blood tests last week, in the most part they were normal, however, one of them came back as showing normal iron stores but high iron in my blood, so they want to do another iron blood test in 6 weeks. The reason I went for these tests was because I had been feeling v tired, gained weight, felt the cold more and generally felt a bit irritable and not myself. I am wondering what would be the cause of the high iron levels. I took pregnacare (as my partner and I are trying for a baby) but have only been taking that for 4 weeks and the iron levels don't look particularly high in it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you have the actual numbers for your tests?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not actually sure. I just called the surgery and they said I would have to come in as there were lots of them so I will try and pop over there at lunch time. I did just ask what the iron test specifically was that I had and they said 30.9. Not sure if this helps?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Julie but I have a hard time with that specific number trying to guess whether it was total iron, ferritin, etc. Tell you what--go get the whole blood work results and then come back here and let me see the entire results of all the tests. Is that OK with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I will try and go today and get back to you, shall I just reply to this thread? Thanks Jules

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, this page will be open when you get back and I'll be here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I have now collected all the blood tests and have attached the document. Thanks Jules

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Julie The serum iron level--the 30.9--is within normal limits. That's what they said was high and needed rechecking in six weeks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They said my iron levels were high?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well if you look at the normal range to the right of the 30.9 it's 11-36. Did they say anything else besides the 30.9 was high?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No they just said that they thought I should go for another blood test in 6 weeks to monitor the levels. I noticed it says next to the results that action needed to be taken. Maybe I don't need to be as concerned.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, I really don't see anything in any of your labs that concerns me Julie. From your symptoms I was considering either anemia or low thyroid but you have neither. Once you get a chance to discuss this with your doctor, get back to me and we'll see if there is something else we need to talk about