Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Anyone to help ?

Customer Question

Anyone to help ?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hi there. You have to type in a question in order for an expert to answer.

Customer :

Ok my dad had colon cancer surgery in march. A tumor was removed from bowel with lying nodes no spread at that point.

Customer :

A recent scan has shown 1 liver met of 16mm . The uptake on that was 5.2 SUV max . Is that high ?

Customer :

Also

Customer :

1 aortocaval

Customer :

Also 1 aortocaval node of 10 mm has a met.

Dr. K. :

Yes its high as it is over 3.5 but that does not necessarily mean it is a metastasis. A solitary or single node is not always a metastasis. In addition, a single met can sometimes be resected or surgically be removed but not always. The aortocaval node may not be a met, though it could be.

Dr. K. :

30 percent of people may be cured if the metastasis to the liver can be completely removed. It will be important to know what the other node is.

Customer :

Well

Customer :

Well he has started folfiri . Had 2 sessions . Luckily he is ok with it . But they said that due to the node they cannot resect the liver met yet . Will folfiri get rid of these ?

Dr. K. :

?

Dr. K. :

Ok I see the rest now

Dr. K. :

What does Yet mean and have they determined the node is cancerous

Dr. K. :

He has been started on chemotherapy with the assumption that the node is cancerous thereby making him not a candidate to resect the liver met. While this will give him some time, no it will not cure him

Dr. K. :

You need a second opinion and to pursue whether this single node is a met. He has a better chance if the liver met is removed. It the other node is cancer it does not benefit him to remove the liver met

Customer :

No biopsy done but based on images and the uptake on the pet they are saying the node is cancerous . But it's 1 node so can it not br

Customer :

Can it not be radiated etc and then liver met removed ?

Customer :

Its not the case that it's large volume mets so could

Customer :

He have a good prognosis ?

Dr. K. :

No thats not the treatment since its likely not to be a single node.

Dr. K. :

The liver mets will not be resected if there is disease elsewhere

Dr. K. :

I am sorry but he does not have a good prognosis, theres about a 10 percent chance of living 5 years. Most people live about a year with stage four disease that cannot be removed.

Dr. K. :

I am sorry its bad news.

Customer :

Even with a liver met of only 16 mm . There are ppl

Customer :

There are ppl

Customer :

With several liver mets n lung mets who are a liver after a few years even

Dr. K. :

Yes that is true. About 10 percent of people live to 5 years so that means quite a few live a few years. The average is a year. That means some live a few months and some 2-3 years.

Customer :

if the node disappears with chemo n the met then in liver is resected is that good then ?

Dr. K. :

I am sorry I know you want good news but its not good news. Yes that would be a good sign. But this stage of colon cancer is not curable. It will come back. It would only be good news for getting more time