Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

I am 67 years old and have had discomfort for over a year.

Customer Question

I am 67 years old and have had discomfort for over a year. Visited my GP as I thought I may have a bladder infection, needed to go to the loo a lot, but not painful. Went for a bladder checkup at the hospital. Bladder fine. Sent for ultra sound tests, found a small cyst on my ovary. Have had routine checks throughout the year involving internal ultra sound and blood tests. The cyst has grown marginally.
After my last check up with the gynocologist at the hospital I was given a printout of the uptodate findings. On reading this it mentions fibroids. Can I have, at my age, fibroids badly enough to cause the symptoms? They have never been mentioned at all, but on reading up about them, pressure on the bladder, permanent aches and pains above my pubic bone, feeling I need to urinate, even after I have been. Have I more a fibroid problem than any problem caused by a small cyst?
Would be grateful for any thoughts on this matter.
Susan
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for using justanswer.

In order to help you find an answer, could you please answer following;

What is the exact size of cyst?

What is exact size of fibroid and location?

What is exact size of uterus?

Any history of Abdominal surgery like Caesarian section?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The size of the complex left ovarian cyst has increased in size to 5.1 x 4.0 x 4.1.
The uterus measures 7.9 x 3.8 x 4.1cms.
Right ovary is normal in size and appearance.
Multiple fibroids noted are again noted, the largest measuring less than 2 cms in size. The endometrium is disrupted by fibroids. The endometrial stripe measures measures 5.6 mms.
There are no adnexal masses seen. There is no free fluid in the pelvis
(Complete notes from hospital)
I should add that I had been using two Vagifem 10 microgram pessaries for approximately three years before first symptoms appeared. I stopped using these pessaries about 8 months ago, which is about the time I began hospital check ups. I had been experiencing extreme heat sensations around the vaginal area for some months before the pressure on my bladder was experienced. This has eased considerably since I stopped using the pessaries.
I did have heavy periods from about the age of 40 and stopped my periods abruptly at age 57.
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.
Ok and thanks for your input.

Well, Fibroids with this size cannot cause your symptoms. However left overian cyst would definately can cause such symptoms. In this scenerio first of all you should go for CA- 125 test if not already done. Further management would depend on this test value.