Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi you answered me about the eye twicthing. I have had it

Customer Question

Hi you answered me about the eye twicthing.
I have had it for 3 months and have seen my GP and an Endochrinologist who is a Professor. I have also had my eyes thoroughly examined by an Opthalmologist. They all say its fatigue and stress and don't want me to have a scan or MRI. I have them on and off in my calf and face too. Does this sound like stress as I am terrified of a brain tumour or ALS?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I took a look at your other questions and the experts' answers. Can I just ask if you've had things like your calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin D levels checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did have some blood tests and all were normal apart from sodium which was very slightly out but I can't remember if it was slightly high or slightly low..?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Vicky. Can you tell me a little more about the twitching in your calf--is it something that you can actually see happening and how long does it last?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see it and feel it if I put my hand on it. It comes and goes through the day but I always cross my right leg over my left so I guess that could explain that..its more my eye that is bothering me, I don't understand why it won't go and its been there for so long if there is no underlying cause?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I see. I think you mentioned in the past that you had seen a neurologist? If so does he know about your calf twitching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was an Endochrinologist I saw, I'm not sure if I mentioned it as I only saw him on Wednesday and the calf twitch has only been over the last few days?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And I think your concern is that this might be MS or ALS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes ALS manily or a brain tumour, the guy I saw was called Professor Vora and he was adamant that I don't need any further tests...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And the ophthalmologist felt it wasn't any of that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Opthalmologist said everything was completely normal?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Vicky. And I'll stay with you after this for as long as you need. I don't think this is a brain tumor and I doubt that it's MS, but I would get a brain MRI to check for both. ALS is a thought and it can be difficult to diagnose but that takes not only an exam but a spinal MRI, nerve conduction studies, EMG's, and sometimes a muscle biopsy. This doesn't sound like a problem with stress and anxiety alone. I would be sure to check all the blood tests I mentioned and get the scans and other tests I referred to before saying that it was just a stress problem. Hopefully your doctors will refer you to a neurologist for all of that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

What makes you think it could be ALS? The eye twitching or all of the twitches together?

Vicky.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The twitching but usually there's also some element of muscle weakness. I really doubt ALS but it needs to be evaluated for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I guess I could go back and see the Specialist this week..

I have no weakness anywhere or any other symptoms at all its just the eye twitch will not go. The facial twitch stayed a few days and then went but this is persistant

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I wish I could to more for you here Vicky but I'm limited to only giving you my thoughts. I do want you to keep in touch with me and let me know how it goes. Hope at least I've given you the information you were looking for