Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Last two days i had unprotected sex with a new friend and got

Customer Question

Last two days i had unprotected sex with a new friend and got scared that i might get infected with something. So in my desperation i got into the bathroom and pour Dettol Antiseptic on my penis head. after some minutes it began to hurt really bad but i wanted to see my friend off first. By the time i got back the pain stopped/reduced. Today i noticed part of my penis head was extremely dry like it burnt and the underside of it felt rough and dry like it burnt too.
Please what do i do? Will it go away after some days of just rubbing lotion or vaseline on it? help!!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this will go away with supportive care. There are several interventions that can be done. It is reasonable to use a moisturising lotion, which will usually work better than Vaseline. It also may help to soak in warm bath water to which salt has been added, either as table salt or Epsom salt. Soaking in salt water is helpful in hydrating the skin anywhere on the body, and for the genitals, it is easier to do this in a bath tub.

For future reference, there is nothing that can be applied to the penis after sex to significantly reduce the risk of transmission of STDs. Reducing the risk of transmission can best be done with the use of a condom.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. How long do you think it might take before the skin returns back to its normal state. Also, is it safe to have sexual activities with this current situation?

It will usually take a few days for the skin to recover after a reaction to a substance that is applied topically.

Any time that there is inflamed skin on the penis, it is easier for certain STDs to occur, as germs can more easily penetrate inflamed or broken skin. If you were in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship in which there was no concern about STDs, then this issue would not be present, and the only issue would be comfort level. But if you were in such a relationship, you also would not have used the Dettol. So, it would be better to wait until it is healed before resuming intercourse.