Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Can I have assistance regarding a scan report ?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I would be glad to help you. Please go on

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My dad had a pet scan as there was a liver lesion . The SUV uptake was 5.2. Is that high?

he had surgery in march to remove colon tumor but had no distant spread then .

the liver met is 16mm and 1 aortocaval node ,

I am afraid that 5.2 is a high value for SUV uptake.
The cut off rate for SUV uptake is taken as 2.5 for differentiating between benign and malignant lesions.
As such, 5.2 suggests a tendency towards malignancy.
However I must stress that SUV uptake alone is not considered diagnostic. There are a number of other factors which must be taken into account. SUV can be high in inflamatory lesions as well. Hence this is not at all diagnostic and is only taken as one of the factors to be considered.
The Fractional Uptake ratio is considered more important. Ask your doctor about this.
Take care.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What can be done re 1 liver met of 16 mm and 1 aortocaval node which has a met ?

what prognosis like ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Iv not had a reply ?

Chemotherapy would be required here.
chemotherapy would be the most viable situation for multiple mets.
I would like you to accept my answer as it would give me confidence to go on engaging with you as you have a poor rate of accepts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Even though theres just 1 liver met would it not b best to remove it?

With single met in the liver, resection is an option along with resection of the primary.
But in his case there is also the aortocaval node which is also possibly malignant.
So chemotherapy would be the best option. Even if there is resection of the liver met, chemotherapy would still be required.
Of course it is ultimately the consulting doctor's opinion. What does the doctor say? What have they advised?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The primary in colon was removed in march . At that point all liver etc was clear.

I am ams surprised that his lat scan was April which was all

clear, but the sept scan revealed the liver met and node.

the uptake on the liver met is 5.2?

thy saying chemo

too but then whem we got second opinion the dr said can remove both node and met as it's small

volume so we are confussed .

what can the

chemI exactly Do?

There can be two reasons why met appeared in Sep and not in April - that there was already a seeding even in april but it was too small to be recognized, or cancer has persisted in some part of the colon or adjacent nodes and this caused the seeding later.
Chemo floods the whole body with anti-tumor agents. It can act against tumors or mets anywhere.
Removal of mets plus node requires careful consideration. Removal will not be easy and there may be some persistence somewhere, also there may already be seeding in other parts of the liver which are not visible now.It is really a personal decision whether you would like to take the risks of surgery for the small chances of complete removal.
Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.
If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see . Could it be that after rremoval of the primary some cells escaped ? As prior to the operation in march he had approx 4 ct scans all of which were clear.

but would

this chemo work in killing these 2? Is it worth taking ?

Yes, it could be that some cells escaped.
Chemo is certainly a risk worth taking. But surgery is a more difficult decision to take as chances of success are less compared to the risk of surgery. But still do take care to discuss with both doctors about both options so that you get a clear picture and then decide. Ask specifically about the chances of success and the risk probability.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Based on 1 liver met n node at present what you think re prognosis approx ?

also do u feel that the cells escaped after surgery or could they have been there anyway from before ? Its just take all scans were clear before

Prognosis depends on a lot of factors.
But in general, prognosis with liver metastasis is not good.
Cells could have escaped after surgery or they could have been seeded from before, its impossible to know now. Its just his destiny I am afraid.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does this mean the xeloda did

nt work ?

Yes it appears so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I rate u?

You can click on the accept button or on the row of faces or stars, whichever appears on your screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is a16 mm liver met large and a 10 mm node ?

Yes it would be considered significantly large.
Anything larger than 1 cm (10mm) is considered significantly large.
I would appreciate another accept or rating at this point as we have been having a long conversation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no option to rate ? plz send the link

OK, I will send the report to customer service who will get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My dad's was was 9.8 in sept, oct was 8 and now 9 in dec. does this mean chemo

not working ? Had 2 cycles so far