Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My Dad, 81 yrs old is experiencing severe pain, cramp like,

Customer Question

My Dad, 81 yrs old is experiencing severe pain, cramp like, in his left foot, He has had it since yesterday after sitting in a car for approx. 2hrs. he has taken paracetamol which has helped short term but he is still in pain. He has only one kidney which only works 20% and has stenosis of the spine. Please can someone help?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is he taking any chronic medicines for the spinal stenosis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

It is common for someone with spinal stenosis that has been sitting for a long period of time to have an exacerbation of the condition, and this exacerbation can be manifested as pain in the back or anywhere that is served by the nerves that arise in the back, including the foot.

It certainly is possible that a new problem has arisen, but since he is known to have spinal stenosis, it is much more likely to be an exacerbation of the spinal stenosis.

There are a couple of options that can be considered in this situation.

One of the common options would be much less of an option for your father, as anti-inflammatory medicines are usually avoided in someone with only one kidney that is functioning at 20%.

Instead, when paracetamol is not sufficient, the usual next consideration for short-term relief of pain is a medicine that combines paracetamol with a mild opiate, such as codeine or hydrocodone. There are several other options that are also frequently used for spinal stenosis, including medicines that suppress the firing of the nerves that carry the pain message, most often certain anti-seizure medicines, such as gabapentin or pregabalin. These medicines are not as effective for short-term use, but are particularly useful for long-term treatment.

So, the usual next step for immediate management would be the combination of paracetamol and a mild opiate, such as codeine or hydrocodone.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.