Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi. my husband has suffered with P.A.D.for the last 10yrs.He

Customer Question

Hi. my husband has suffered with P.A.D.for the last 10yrs.He has had 2 angioplasty's done but niether have been succsesful. He was booked in on OCT6th 2014 to have a 3rd one done. This was carried out & we were told it had worked they cleared the arteries in the left leg& inserted balloons. they done the left groin & also the lillac arteries in the abdomen area. His right leg was not done but they arranged for him to go into hospital today NOV30th, to have the angioplasty carried out on the right leg. Unfortunatly on Thurs Nov27th his right ankle became swollen & very painful, After about 7hrs he could not stand the pain any longer so i called my GP. He came round & thought it was GOUT but because of this intending angioplasty he admitted him to hospital to be on the safe side. Once there he had scan & xray it wasn't gout the vascular doc then brought in the orthopedic doc, he said it may be ligiment damage, By Friday morning the swelling had spread up the whole iof the bottom leg & into the knee. my husband was in agony He was given pain killers witch helped the pain but the leg was still swollen. By sat Nov29th it had gone down some but he still could not put his foot on the floor. He was given a frame to help him get to the loo & shower room where he had to sit down to take a shower. He has now been told the angioplasty has been cancelled until the swelling subsides, don't know how long though. the vascular doc tor has now informed us they have no idea what the problem is or what has caused it he is going to be dischared today but still cannot walk & is still in pain please help if you can thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Have any tests like Ultrasound been done on the leg?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Vera,
I was trying to chat with you on this.
Please provide some more info:
Was an Ultrasound done on the legs?
Was the Uric acid level for gout normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

.has has several ultrasounds done & uric acid levels were ok c also i allready pay just answer £16.00 pm but they will not let me log in with my details it keeps cutting yhe last letteroff when i type in my email adress it wants to charge me again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i have not been answered yet but would like an answer when doctors are available. please tell me why i have been charged £24 00p when i all ready have a subscription in force my email & password ***** not been accepted for some reason . please get this sorted as i am not paying monthly +further deposit thankyou
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
The experts do not have access to the financial aspects of the system, but you can contact customer service at 0808-168-0054.

Did the Orthopedic surgeon recommend any treatment for ligament damage?
You had posted in a separate question -

no the orthopedic surgeon has now said here are some sticks you can go home & we'll have you back in to do the angioplasty at a later date no treatment was given or suggested.

Swelling and pain of the ankle on one side is most often due to some form of musculoskeletal injury or inflammation, and a ligament injury certainly could cause these symptoms. It is also possible that there could be a DVT, a blood clot and inflammation in the deep veins, but if there was an ultrasound of the veins that was normal, there is no reason to be concerned about that possibility.

There are several interventions that can be done for a ligament injury, and may help with other musculoskeletal injuries or inflammation. It is appropriate to relieve as much weight bearing as possible, including the use of crutches or walkers to support some of the weight. It can help to apply moist heat, such as with a moist heating pad, which can help ease inflammation. An oral anti-inflammatory drug may be used, but there are several reasons to avoid the use of such medicines, particularly in the elderly. Another option would be to use an over the counter cream, capsaicin, which is applied to the skin directly over the area of pain. It also may help to wrap the ankle with an elastic bandage, such as an ACE bandage.

If the symptoms persist, then it may be necessary to obtain an MRI of the ankle.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
This question has appeared again on the Question List as pending expert action, but I do not see any additional questions.

If there are any further questions, please let me know.