Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi I feel as though im getting an extra heart beat every few

Hi I feel as though im getting an extra heart beat every few seconds, I feel it in my chest only.. When I check my pulse on my wrist I don't feel the extra beat.. Would this just be a muscle twitching in my chest?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long exactly this has been going on?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you having any symp***** *****ke chest pain, sinking heart, sweating, vomiting, nausea etc?

Dr. Hasan :

What are your diagnosed medical problems?

Customer: Only noticed in the last hour or so.. No other symptoms.. When it happens I can see the part of the chest muscle twitch
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

If you can see the muscle twitching then yes it is muscle.

Dr. Hasan :

Heart related issues can never be seen on the skin.

Dr. Hasan :

So just relax, it is not heart related.

Customer: If it was an extra beat I would feel it in the wrist too? I kept my finger on my wrist and the beats are normal during the twitching in the chest
Dr. Hasan :

Yes it would be felt in chest as well.

Dr. Hasan :

The twitching when heart related has to be felt in wrist at the same time.

Customer: .i was so panicky I was going to rush to A&E
Dr. Hasan :

Yes I can understand but I assure you that you don't need to do that.

Customer: I feel it more to the left of the chest going towards my underarm but not in the underarm area
Dr. Hasan :

Yes muscle twitching in that area can involve arm pit

Customer: I was panicking incaee its a sign of my heart going into vf or af.. I recently had an echo which picked up slight thickness of my septum which is 1.4cm but I was told that it's due to weight training
Dr. Hasan :

There is no need to panic because if it was A fib, you should have felt it on wrist and you should have other symptoms which I asked for.

Dr. Hasan :

Your echo findings can be seen in people doing work out

Customer: ,,ok thanks.. I'm slightly reassured.. So is it a medical fact that if it was an abnormal rhythm for my heart then I would feel it in my pulse at wrist too? One of the other doc here said I need an urgent care ecg..I ended the chat with her because I was not confident that she knew much about it
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Yes the twitching related to heart is never felt on chest. You don't need to worry for sure

Dr. Hasan :

It's muscular twitch for which you should see your doctor when possibl

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer: Ok.. But sometime when you lie down u can see the heart beating through the chest by slight movements in the chest.. Is that not true?
Dr. Hasan :

Are you very skinny?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you under weight?

Dr. Hasan :

What you are saying is possible in very skinny people.

Dr. Hasan :

In your case I am not concerned about this being heart related due to other fact as well because your twitching is not synchronous with your pulse.

Customer: No none of the above.. But the main thing is I'd feel it in my wrist at the same time if it was heart related?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes you must have felt it in wrist at the same time if it was heart related.

Dr. Hasan :

Since you haven't, you don't need to worry

Customer: Ok thank you very much.. So not at risk of my heart going into a dangerous arrhythmia? And my septum thickness would not cause this?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are not at any risk and it is not arrhythmia. Thick septum doesn't cause this twitching.

Customer: Ok thanks for your help today
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.