Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello. My 25 year old is in Belgium for 3 days ( flying back

Hello. My 25 year old is in Belgium for 3 days ( flying back later today) and has got a tummy bug. She has been sick 3 times, has diarrhoea and cannot even sip water without being sick. Any suggestions please?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you mean that she has a colostomy bag? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she does not.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Sally I a sorry for the misunderstanding regarding the bag. I am sorry to hear about her problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. From your description it is obvious that she is having gastroenteritis. It is usually viral but sometime can be bacterial as well. If she has no or just low grade fever then it is likely to be viral. Yes I do have suggestions to help her and for that I will address your question in two aspects; what she can do herself and what her doctor can do for her. As far as what she can do herself is concerned in such situations she can take over the counter available tablet dramamine three times a day. She can take it thirty minutes before eating or drinking. If she become able to drink water after the first tablet, she can continue it and hopefully she will start feeling better. If not then she must go to ER as imbalance of electrolytes and minerals can cause this persistent vomiting. In that case she may need intravenous fluids to replace the loss. She should eat just BRAT diet for few days. It means Banana, Rice, Apple sauce and Toast. Once she become able to drink water, she should drink Gatorade to replace the fluid loss. Please remember that if she is not able to drink water after first tablet of dramamine, she should go to ER. For body aches (if she has), she can take OTC tab Tylenol thrice daily. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr Hasan. I will let her know your advice.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Convey her my best wishes and prayers. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards