Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm glad you are online now, going to ask you the same question

Customer Question

I'm glad you are online now, going to ask you the same question I've asked here earlier.. I feel as though im getting an extra heart beat or twitch every few seconds, I feel it in my chest only.. When I check my pulse on my wrist I don't feel the extra beat.. Would this just be a muscle twitching in my chest?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hey. Does it actually feel deep as in your heart or more in the chest wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Feels more in the pectoral muscle area.. I've checked my pulse in my wrist at the same time and I don't feel the abnormal beats or whatever they are .. Can videos be sent on here? Ice recorded it on my phone and the twitching is quite visible
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You could post it on Snapfish, Imageshack, or Photobucket and give me the link but if you actually can see the muscle twitching then it's not your heart. How long has it been going on and is it like a series of twitches for a few seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noticed it when I woke up a couple of hours ago.. It's a quick series of twitches .. Calms down for a few seconds then twitches again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And this just started--never had it before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I might have had it before .. Do them sites allow video uploads too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Pretty sure they do but not certain about that. But again if you can see the twitch that isn't cardiac. And obviously if your pulse is regular when the twitch occurs it isn't a skipped beat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok cool.. I'm just in the process of uploading to photo bucket then u can take a look
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--whenever it's ready
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/shaz_shaz1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.CCABCB71-D9C6-4042-9045-643E9CAF5455_zpsjfmpbl0o.mp4.html
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Shazad that link says the video has been deleted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it? Let me check
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says the same thing for me too .. But it has a play icon on it and let's me open it.. Can you see if it lets you do the same?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry guy but nothing happens when I hit the icon. No problem though--this is definitely your pectoral muscle twitching and not your heart. Nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that's strange.. So it's ok for it to keep doing this.. Happens every 5 or 10 seconds.. Quick movements for a couple of seconds at a time.. No need to rush to A&E?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing that needs an A&E visit. Probably will stop on its own later today. But just so you'll know--nothing that happens on the chest wall like this is ever the heart
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that's a relief to know .. I'm going to try sorting that video out I'd rather u saw it.. Are you here for a few hours?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here all day so if you figure it out let me know. I guess there's also Utube
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok here's the YouTube link
http://youtu.be/wdnaz47d1OQ
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Definitely twitching of that pectoral muscle--not heart at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did u watch all of it? Did you see how quick it speeds up?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I saw that but that's typical of a temporary muscle twitch--I promise you this isn't your heart
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok any reason for it? I was panicky thinking that any minute im going to go into af or vf!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Deep breath again--this is not your heart and nothing serious. I could give you a differential here but that might just flip your anxiety switch. I've had this happen before and it never worried me. Usually things like this have no specific cause--a lot of times people get twitching of just one eyelid that goes on for maybe a day and then stops and I have to tell them not to worry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks doc.. I have 100% faith in you.. Will come back if I need to ask more on this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Always a pleasure Shazad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi quick update.. The twitching disappeared a couple of hours ago.. I hope it doesn't come back ­čśÉ
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's how these things usually do my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok well like u said its not my heart so even if it returns then it's nothing to worry about I guess
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--absolutely nothing to worry about unless you choose to do so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
:-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--I waxed a little sarcastic there--couldn't help myself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll allow it :-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I guess that's all a part of friendship
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh no the twitching is back.. Damn
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about it--give it a day or so and I'm sure it'll stop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I dont want to go into a long discussion about it.. But you saw the video and this is definitely 200% ­čśŐ a muscle twitch and not cardiac? I got work in the morning and need to stop worrying about it.. Need to stop thinking that its an arrhythmia
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely just in the muscle and the heart never does that--you're fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm lying down and looking at my chest.. As well as the twitching I can just about see an area in my chest which is moving with the rhythm of my heart.. Is that normal too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're really going overboard with this now. It's all muscle and nothing to do with your heart. Just get your mind off the whole thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have a good day at work tomorrow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks dr
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You too
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Later then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I probably will message u later if I get panicky about it.. How many more hours are u here?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
About another seven
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do u work in a hospital? How do u even get time to respond on here?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, just office practice and, of course, this is Sunday
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh I see.. Anyway just found a YouTube video a muscle twitch but this guys twitch definitely looks like a twitch
http://youtu.be/_BJXxz632Fo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, just office practice and of course this is Sunday. That guy is purposely flexing his pecs--body builders do that a lot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see that he triggers it off .. It's quick succession of twitches that he got after that's what seemed similar to mine.. Anyway going to go and eat a banana maybe that will help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Talk to you later maybe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right ok time for me to get some sleep and time for me to sound like a broken record .. The reassurance helps me.. 1. The twitching is not coming from my heart? 2. You have seen similar kind of twitching in other patients? 3. I should no way be going to my local A&E for a checkup? 4. Even if this continues into timorrow I still have no reason to worry? 5. The position of the twitching, is it where you would expect it to twitch from if it is from the pectoral muscle? 6. And finally again DEFINATELY NOT FROM THE HEART?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
1) No, not from your heart
2) Yes, and even I get it sometimes
3) No way whatsoever
4) No, still no reason to worry
5) It is your pec
6) Once again with gusto--THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT FROM YOUR HEART
Nite
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol thanks I needed that.. I know I have had this before but it usually goes after a few hours.. Today it's been there all day that's why instead of just a little panic I have instead PANICKED..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever seen the movie Network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope .. Hang on i will google it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, here's what I suggest you do right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyway I've not asked u this before.. Which country are u based in?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Instead of going to A&E. I'm in the states--in Florida
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok cool
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyway it's still twitching away.. Shall I just ignore it and go to sleep?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just ignore it, go to your window, open it up, and you know what to say. Then go to bed and keep in touch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol ok I think I'll skip the window thing.. My neighbours might get a bit worried about me.. Thanks for all your help today.. So when I get up and go to work and the twitching is still there should I still just accept it and carry on? Can it go on for days at a time?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It could go on for another day or so but not to worry. But watch out--I might contact your neighbours and tell them about our conversations--not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol.. Ok goodnight doc.. Probably chat with you tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nite my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello.. Just woken up but not time to get up.. Got s bit of a stomach pain and the twitch still there!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I still keep away from A&E .. I really feel like it's the heart
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--just got back on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok .. Anyway didn't bother with A&E .. Went to see my gp this morning.. He saw the twitch and listened to my heart .. He confirmed that my hr is beating normal and the twitch is not connected to my hr
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so are you still worried? Did he think there was anything to the twitching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not as worried as I was.. He wasn't too concerned about the twitching.. He said it will disappear on its own accord.. He said because of my anxiety Im tuned into minor things like this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think he's right. One thing I didn't tell you before because I thought it might somehow add to your anxiety--unless, say, you just ran a full mile and then looked at your chest, you really can't see the heartbeat from the outside. The heart really has to be very forcefully pounding to actually cause a visual pounding of the chest wall. Even skipped beats, although you might feel them, are not visible from the outside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree with u there.. But I have in the past noticed a slight movement just below my sternum area. So basically the top of the abdomen and below the sternum where there is no bone.. When I have focused on it I have noticed the movement in sync with my heart.. Also sometimes when I'm lying chest down on the bed I can feel my bed mattress move in sync with my heart
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well somehow I doubt the mattress really moved at all with your heartbeat but be that as it may one thing you need to work on is not to concentrate on your chest and be thinking about your heart--that can let your imagination get away with you. Have to get off to work so need to be away for a couple of hours but have a good day at work and keep in touch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok could have been the pulse in my carotid that was making it move slightly .. Ok have a nice day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you need me later make it on a fresh page my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do :-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Later