Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I suffer from health related anxiety and I'm a hypochondriac;

I suffer from health related anxiety and I'm a hypochondriac; I have been suffering from somniphobia for the past few months. While most websites and help rooms argue that CBT is the best cure; a professional opinion on the matter would be more helpful in calming my mind.
I started having sleepless nights due to tonsolitis, just for a couple of nights. However, the fact that I felt exhausted built pressure that I needed to ensure I slept soundly or my case would worsen. My sleepless nights have led to a snowball effect, in that I become more anxious each passing night as my "sleep debt" and general tiredness increases. My natural thought process has me believing this will eventually have fatal consequences.
Thus, I am asking what your understanding is of sleep and health? More so, can people who suffer from chronic insomnia and constant fatigue live a physically healthy life? I have read about people in their 40s and 50s who have had similar worries for much of their lives...which eases my concerns somewhat, considering they haven't dropped dead in those 20-30 years. If I knew quality sleep wasn't essential it'd go a long way to easing my anxiety. However, the sheer amount of literature stating that it's fundamental for physically health does worsen my mind-set.
Any answers would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Studies have shown a good night's sleep 6-8 hours is essential for physical and mental wellbeing.

Dr Basu :

Chronic sleep deprivation not only causes fatigue and decreased cognitive function, but it can also increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, stroke.

Dr Basu :

So, seep problem should be addressed properly.

Dr Basu :

YOu will need a sleep study to detect the problem first.

Dr Basu :

Then medications can be used to address your issue.

Dr Basu :

A sleep medicine specialist should be consulted with.

Customer:

Thanks for the response. In which case, could you recommend any medication that would aid in improving anxiety and sleep? I think a combination of CBT and medication could help.

Dr Basu :

yes it will.

Dr Basu :

I will suggest clonidine 0.2 mg before bedtime.

Dr Basu :

this helps with both sleep and anxiety.

Dr Basu :

Hydroxyzine 50 mg before bed time is another option.

Dr Basu :

There are others as well.