Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I have question about extracting a tooth that root canal

Hi I have question about extracting a tooth that root canal has been done on. I'm allergic to to the numbing injection and have tried to many different injection I have had some sort of reaction to all. How the want to extract my tooth that I've had root canal done on over a few years ago. Is it possible to have it extracted with an injection. I mean is the pain tolerable? Could you help me with my question.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--when you say you're allergic to the numbing medications, which have you had and what exactly to you mean by being allergic to them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure but my dentist says I should get a cortisone shot before the injection. I'm just wondering if I can just do the procedure without any use of medication.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Fernie. Yes, you could get it extracted with nothing at all but the cortisone injection before, say, using a local anethetic would cover you for any allergic reactions. Alternatively your dentist could use nitrous oxide--the so-called laughing gas--or, if he's set up for it, an IV hypnotic drug like propofol.