Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a year ago and put

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a year ago and put on amlopadine .up until this point I have always had v good blood pressure and this came as a shock.The tablets caused ED so the Dr changed them to ramipril but the ED gas got worse.I am ve depressed about it and I don't feel my Dr takes my concerns seriously.I am 60 and he seems to think I am expecting too much at my age!
Are there other blood pressure tablets I can ask him to try that might not impact on my libido.I feel dead from the waist down which isn't like me My wife is great about it but I don't like feeling like this .
Can you suggest any ways forward
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Although any medicine that is used for high blood pressure can cause erectile dysfunction, there are certain types of blood pressure medicine that are less likely to do so. However, the medicines that have been tried in your case are amongst the blood pressure medicines that are less likely to cause erectile dysfunction. Since they caused erectile dysfunction for you, it still would be appropriate to change to a different drug, regardless of the effect in the general population.

In this situation, the next class of blood pressure medicine that would usually be considered would be an ARB (angiotensin receptor blocker), such as valsartan or candesartan. Another option would be an alpha-blocker, such as prazocin or doxazocin. However, there should be caution when using an alpha-blocker when also taking Viagra, as the combination can cause a more profound drop in blood pressure. If an alpha-blocker is to be considered, it may be wiser to try to avoid the Viagra until it is seen whether the alpha-blocker controls the blood pressure without causing ED.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.