Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

my sister had a leg ulcer that was being dressed every two

my sister had a leg ulcer that was being dressed every two days by district nurse, there was exudate ++++
on 21st nov she had an appointment with a Consultant as she was also feeling unwell and displayed flu like symptoms, her leg ulcer was green and offensive her leg was showing signs of cellulitis. When the doctor saw it he flippantly said "its nothing I haven't seen before" and prescribed cream.
Her condition worsened and by Saturday she had a temp of 40 and was having rigors, she visited a walk in centre who prescribed oral antibiotics which they said she should give 24 hours at least to work.
On Sunday her leg was dressed and the district nurse did nothing about sending her into hospital even though her condition was slowly deteriorating and it was obvious she needed IV antibiotics.
On Monday he was very drowsy and poorly so my nephew took her to A&E she was admitted to a general ward.
On Tuesday we got a call to say she had been taken to intensive care and was critical.
When I arrived it was obvious she was dying, she was in multi organ failure due to secpticimia. She died just after midnight.
I feel that her condition has been negligently mismanaged what is your opinion?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

I'm so sorry to hear of this horror you have just lived through :(

Dr. Charogat :

Based on the information you have given me it does indeed seem like she was not treated appropriately.

Dr. Charogat :

From the first step that you have written about - that she was feeling unwell and had an obvious infection on her extremity. That should have tipped the doctor off to the fact that the infection was getting into her blood.

Dr. Charogat :

The ball seems to me to have been dropped again when she went to the walk-in center.

Dr. Charogat :

Again, she had an infection that was causing her to become sick - (not only the infected area). This should have been a sign that there was bacteria getting into her blood.

Dr. Charogat :

Finally, on her final visit to a medical facility they seem to have picked up on the fact that there was something definitely going wrong.

Dr. Charogat :

I can't imagine what you and your family are going through right now :(

Customer:

I agree and the fact that she had been seen by more than one health care professional! surely someone going to a walk in centre displaying these symptoms should have been referred to A&E? at the very least or just been admitted?

Dr. Charogat :

With the timeline you have given, it seems to me that by the time she went to A&E she must have already started having some organ failure.

Dr. Charogat :

As I am in the US I'm not sure how walk-in centers word as opposed to A&E, but here - with symptoms like that - I would have admitted her immeditately.

Dr. Charogat :

If a walk-in is similar to a doctor's office, then, again, here in the US the doctor would have sent her immediately to emergency so that they could have admitted her.

Customer:

This has been a trauma for us from start to finish, do you think there is enoughnhere to see a lawyer with regards ***** *****?

Dr. Charogat :

This really really really stinks of "malpractice" to me.

Dr. Charogat :

without a doubt

Dr. Charogat :

What was the cause of her ulcer? what was her medical condition before this all started?

Customer:

Thank you that's all I needed to know ...

Dr. Charogat :

No problem.

Dr. Charogat :

You and your family will be in my prayers,

Dr. Charogat :

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with.

Customer:

She was overweight and had had venous problems for a while but this does not negate the fact that this has been mismanaged

Dr. Charogat :

I agree

Dr. Charogat :

(that it doesn't negate the fact of mismanegement)

Dr. Charogat :

In a way, the fact that she had problems with her blood flow already means that they should have been even more vigilant about her care.

Customer:

Thanks again Dr Charogat I appreciate your time and views

Dr. Charogat :

Suing the hospital / doctor won't bring her back, but hopefully it will at least stop the people involved from so flippantly dismissing a patient in the future.

Dr. Charogat :

And hopefully any money that comes in can compensate for money that her loss is costing (financially). I'm so there is no amount of money that will ever right this wrong!

Dr. Charogat :

whoops... that should have said "I'm SURE there is no amount....."

Customer:

Its not about money at all its about doing what is right by my Sister.....

Dr. Charogat :

I agree -- that's why I say that no amount of money will help --- just hopefully it will 'prevent her death from being for nothing'. (ie my father was killed by a drunk driver.... millions upon millions of dollars will not bring him back - but at least if we can keep the drunk driver -who is also a gang member, drug abuser etc- in jail he will not be able to kill anyone else and my father's death will not have been 100% in vain)

Dr. Charogat :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

I'm so sorry to hear that, why is it always the good people, and yes that makes absolute sense...

Dr. Charogat :

I guess I am thinking of this and comparing it to my grandmother who was killed during a medical procedure. The difference is that they were trying to help her - and the needle pricked something even though they were doing everything right etc. Those doctors felt awful etc and there was nothing flippant about the whole story. Your story is the opposite, where they didn't take the time to do right by your sister.

Dr. Charogat :

I agree!

Dr. Charogat :

And on top of that - again, for your case - how could the doctors have ignored this?

Customer:

They I feel just saw a fat woman who was worth nothing to them, forgetting she was a mother, auntie, daughter, sister and friend!!

Dr. Charogat :

I hate to say that it sounds like that to me too.

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.