Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I have had continual stiffness and pain in my neck shoulder

Customer Question

I have had continual stiffness and pain in my neck shoulder and the back of my head mainly on the left hand side , this started approx 6 weeks ago and I had an unusual head ache at the back of my neck and head this was relieved with paracetamol and then the next day the stiffness in my neck started , it is like a stress ache and is worst in the morning or when I sit still for a while do you think viral meningitis could be the cause ? Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr.Customer:

What you are describing does not sound at all like meningitis

Dr.Customer:

The only thing that might be is that a vertebrae in your neck is very slightly out of alignment.

Dr.Customer:

How old are you?

Dr.Customer:

What other medical problems do you have?

Dr.Customer:

Generally, for younger patients who are otherwise healthy, what I tell them to do is to take make/do this cocktail for one night before going to sleep.

Dr.Customer:

Take a muscle relaxant as well as some ibuprofen as part of your bedtime routine for the night in question. After you've taken those, take a long hot shower with the hot water going onto the part of your neck that feels most stiff. As soon as that is done wrap a thick/heavy towel around your neck so that there is a lot of support there. Then go immediately to bed.

Dr.Customer:

The mixture of the relaxant, anti inflammatory, hot water, support, and sleep often let the part of your neck that is having the problem slip back to its normal position.

Dr.Customer:

For an older patient, or one with medical problems the question would be if there is any stenosis (any narrowing) of any of the areas between the vertabrae, or anyplace where the nerve is being compressed, and if there is then the findings would dictate future care.

Dr.Customer:

My goal is to give you excellent service.

Dr.Customer:

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless

Dr.Customer:

As I see you are offline I will change this to a Q&A so that you are not charged for extra chat time.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.