Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a blood test and have elevated liver function.

Customer Question

I have had a blood test and have elevated liver function. What dose this mean? I have no other symptoms, am slightly overweight and on statins for colosterol
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The statins certainly can cause abnormal liver function tests. However, it would be a more complete answer if the actual results can be reviewed.

Do you have the actual results of the liver tests, including any that were abnormal and those that were normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I don't have the actual results yet. Before the statins all my colesetrol levels were high, but are Ok with the statins.

It is good that the statins are working well for the cholesterol, but the risk of the statins affecting the liver is present, regardless of whether the statin is working for the cholesterol.

When you say ‘yet’, does that mean that you will be getting the results soon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but of course I am very worried about liver cancer

It would be very unusual for liver cancer to be the cause of liver enzyme elevation, particularly of the kind that can occur with statin use, i.e., a mild elevation of AST and ALT. However, without knowing the pattern of liver abnormalities, it is difficult to be specific.

Can you contact your doctors office to obtain the results more quickly so that I can be more specific in my answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have an appointment on Thursday, but had a sleepless night over the cancer issue, your very unusual has put my mind at rest. Thank you

You are welcome.

Is this all that you need or do you want to have further discussion after you get the results?
I had asked whether that was all that you needed and have not heard back.

I will label this as an answer, so that the question is no longer pending. However, if you have any further questions after meeting with your doctor in a couple days, you certainly can request additional information by clicking on Reply to Expert.