Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a smell from my nostrils of nicotine I do not smoke

I have a smell from my nostrils of nicotine I do not smoke or
anyone else in my house?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Do you have this or other disturbing smells at other times also or is this the first time?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
If the nicotine smell is something new, then its probably nothing more than someone having smoked in the house or just outside the house. Nicotine smell is very strong and will hang on curtains or clothes for a long time.
If however you have been having bad or unusual smells for some time, then this needs to be further investigated.
The main causes of smell disorders are:
Sinusitis: Sinus infections can cause unusual odors.
Neurological smell disorders:
Temporal lobe epilepsy:
Trauma:
Psychogenic: Psychogenic causes of bad smells and taste are perhaps the most common cause. They may occur due to depression, anxiety, stress, etc.
If the smell persists, discuss all these causes with your doctor and ask them to be ruled out.
Take care - hope this advise helps you and keeps you safe.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.