Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hello Dr Kaushik, My son jut had a recent blood test and they

Hello Dr Kaushik,
My son jut had a recent blood test and they said that his liver enzyme is too high at 108 and its gone higher than last blood test 6 weeks ago when it was at 97 . 3 to 4 weeks ago he came off the risperidone and started the abilify that you suggested. Is the new medication causing this? Is it serious?
Also my son tells me instead of taking 10 m of abilify he is taking 20 m per day because its giving him energy.Is the 20 dose too high?
What should he do to get liver function optimal?
Lauren
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

AST or ALT liver enzymes at 108 is only slightly elevated and could be from alcohol use or paracetamol overuse or a small stone in the liver or gall bladder.

most likely the risperidone and abilify is not causing these levels

your son should not be increasing the dose of abilify on his own. he needs to talk to his doctor about this first.

he should see his GP doctor and get a liver ultrasound and gall bladder ultrasound.

get a copy of his complete blood work panel and I would be happy to review all of his liver testing to see how serious this might be.

he should avoid alcohol and paracetamol for now.

does he drink alcohol?