Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

After a bout of gastric flu, during which I have hardly eaten

After a bout of gastric flu, during which I have hardly eaten for 2 weeks, I have become constipated but when I take my doctor's prescribed laxative (which I normally take nightly but have suspended due to diarrhoea) there seems to be a solid lump of excrement which I am unable to get rid of and the more recent runny stuff seems to leak past it uncontrollably. I am 89 years old and a few years ago had a not very successful op for a rectocele. I have to wear a vaginal pessary all the time and my muscles in that area are not very strong. But I have never been incontinent and this frightens me. I have tried to contact my surgery for advice but they are too busy to answer. I live alone and at the moment, for obvious reasons, cannot get out. Will more laxatives make the matter worse, and should I just wait and hope for the best ?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
you have a fecal impaction. A hard lump of stool in the rectum that won't move
2 options here
1)enema to try and get it out from below
2)see a doctor for manual (finger) disimpaction.
Either one will work most likely. You can get enemas over the counter.
don't take any from above though because this will make things worse
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After your advice, I was able to call out a doctor for a home visit. She examined me thoroughly, said there was no need for an enema as it seemed the small obstruction (which she could locate ) was dissolving of its own accord. A couple of hours later I had a fairly normal and painless evacuation and immediately felt much better. The "seepage" I was worried about seems to be subsiding. Many thanks for your help and reassurance,

Erica