Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Does a cea drop from9.8 to 8 mean anything in person with

Customer Question

Does a cea drop from
9.8 to 8 mean anything in person with colon cancer. ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. A cancer marker like CEA is only a rough measure of the activity of any cancer. A drop in the CEA can indicate that the cancer, if it's being treated, is responding to the treatment or at least isn't progressing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The strange thing is that the cea dropped from 9.8 to 8 during the time when he actually had stopped the chemo (xeloda) due to scans being done . Could it just b diffetent lab readings ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's one possibility but it might also indicate that the cancer was improving on it's own. Really, again, CEA is just a monitor for people who are known to have cancer and by itself if really doesn't tell a great deal about the state of the cancer itself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can it improve on it's own ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Usually not--in very rare cases it may spontaneously go into some remission. But you really can't just look at changes in the CEA by itself and tell what may be going on with the cancer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see.but from 9.8 to 8 is not a big drop right. ?

the pattern for the cea was-

may 3

june 4

july 6

sept 9.8

oct 8

oct was when the xeloda was stopped at 4 th cycle

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not it's really not much of a significant drop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would folfiri chemo b worth taking with a single liver metastases ? What can the chemo actually do?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'd recommend it especially if his oncologist did. If the cancer is sensitive to it then it basically kills the cancer cells by acting on the DNA specific to them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks . What is the liklihood of it working ? As I know chemo does not always work right ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes it doesn't work very well but in this case I think it will be effective
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why do u think effective in this case?

if effective , does it cure the person ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We need to stop at this point with a rating please because you are in a sense asking more involved questions. The medication is, in studies at least 80% effective for his type of cancer. But as for a cure, that can't be determined for a long time. After chemo the cancer may shrink to the point where it can no longer be detected but only if a patient stays cancer free for, say, five years, could one consider him cured
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can drinking any alcohol stop the chemo

from actually working ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
In moderation, no, but it would be better not to drink while on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.so is the folfiri likely to work better with limited mets ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that makes the chances of its being effective higher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So with say about 2 metastases what would u say ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think the chemo will be effective but like I told you before whether or not it can effect a total cure can't be told right now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it good if all blood work seems normal ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that's a good sign
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With the chemo he has lost appetite and akso weight . He's lost 3 kg in about a month . Is that normal effects?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, quite often chemo has side effects like nausea, loss of appetite, some weight loss, fatigue, etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So it would

not be wise to

stop it then right ? He has only had 2 cycles so far

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, not wise and he should follow his oncologist's instructions about the course of therapy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can raw vej juice, wheatgrass Etc help

cancer ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
He needs a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies, fruit, nuts, whole grains, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings per week of lean meats, fish, and poultry. I wan't to continue with you but you're asking many more additional question so, please, if you have more, you need to open a new page for me using this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-doctorchip
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I ask just 1 thing ..... Cea was 9.8 in sept, october was 8 and today's cea is 9. What can this say?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It really doesn't say much of anything. That little variation really if anything just says that the cancer has been stable since September--it's neither a good or a bad sign
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After 2 cycles should it start shrinking or disappearing usually ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, not yet--it takes more time than that to see the change. Now, please, nothing more on this page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank so much

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure