Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Doctor, I have severe multiple allergies, was diagnosed

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,
I have severe multiple allergies, was diagnosed at the Glasgow Western Anaphylactic clinic in June 2011 with life threatening larangeal odema, and have on average 3 full blown anaphylactic attacks per week awake and sleeping. I am on high dose antihistamines, aand also adreniline and injectable Chloraphenamine vials, plus Fentynal patches, oral morphine for the pain. My specialist says it is auto immune and will not correct itself by now. I was also diagnosed last year with a nutcracker oeseophagus which causes severe dysphagia, and horrendous crushing chest pain. I have been hospitalised 7 times this year due to chronic spasms and inability to eat or drink nor swallow my own saliva. I am on Nifidipine to try and relax the muscle spasms but when it flares up there is no option but to be admitted to hospital in order to have IV hydration and medication. I also have several crumbling discs in my spine which cause severe pain and incontinence. Surgery to correct any of these has been deemed too risky because of my anaphylactic attacks and larangeal odema and the possibility of the oeseophagus lesions bursting on trial of dilation. I also have multiple allergies, codeine and all nsaids included. I have also been trialed with Cyclosporin which failed as it also triggered my anaphylactic attacks. I am existing on en sure protein drinks and milkshakes as swallowing is extremely difficult. This year alone I have dropped 2 stone in weight. Last week at my doctors I was also diagnosed with COPD after an x ray as i have developed a persistant cough, very breathless and fatigued all the time. At the doctors I asked what else could be done to help me and he replied nothing? It was auto immune and they had tried everything? Then prescribed me with an inhaler and said Sorry, but there was absolutely nothing else that could be done. The thought of spending the rest of my life in and out of hospital after adreniline, not being able to eat or drink and in extreme pain and fear of the constant anaphylaxis attacks and oeseophageal spasms and joint pain is terrible. I have never felt so low, and as a single mother I can see it taking effect on my children also. I have a constant feeling of darkness and dread and feel I am getting weaker every day. Have you any advice you can offer? I visited a private allergy consultant today who took one look at my notes and said there was absolutely nothing she could do, it was very serious and she had never encountered someone being referred to cyclosporran for anaphylaxis and therefore a very serious case. I returned home now, feeling lower than ever and feel I have absolutely no where else to turn or ask. I feel as though I am just waiting to die. Any advice would be welcomed
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
I would not say that nothing can be done.
You have had allergy testing....so why not allergy shots?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am on daily high levels of antihistamine (45mg levociterizine) and montelukast. When i go into anaphylactic shock I have injectable clorphenamine and adreniline to bring me round and try and stop the attacks. this happens on average 3 times a week. With no known trigger.. it can happen anytime, day or night? If i had a nut allergy i would stay away from nuts.. It has been diagnosed as auto immune, and the anaphylactic clinic and gp say there is nothing else that could help?

Did you ask them about desensitization?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, It was done in 2011. Nothing has helped. Consultant says it is auto immune and if it was going to reverse it would have done so. I was extremely healthy until the birth of my son 6 years ago. I had pleurisy while preganant and my son was premature. These attacks started after that, with extreme joint paint in wrists then knees, urticaria, nausea, rashes all over my face, fainting, neck and face pain. All completely out of the blue, a different thing every day? And just progressed from there.

Have they mentioned mastocytosis...mast cell disease?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.. My GP just said there was absolutely nothing else they could do? They had exhausted every avenue? And the surgery nurse asked if a referral to the local hospice would help? To talk with like minded people? I left the surgery in shock.. I am also attending the chronic pain team who have started the Fentynal patches. He did not give me anymore answers and said he was sorry?

OK
I would proceed as follows.
An opinion from a different allergist.
A second, somewhat different, set of desensitization shots can be done.
In addition.
I would pursue and anti-autoimmune diet. Strictly. Indefinitely.
The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt
The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Super Immunity by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
Finally, get a functional medicine doctor to help you. In addition to using the above diet, they will look at underlying causes of disease, and attempt to correct them naturally.
find those doctors on the practitioner list on this site.
www.functionalmedicine.org
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is what my diet consists of when i can eat and swallow. Unfortunately because of my oeseophageal spasms i am unable to eat frequently although i do try to puree healthy soups etc. I am based in Glasgow and cannot seem to find a functional medicine doctor in or within a 50 mile radius? Are you aware of any as I would like to proceed with this option. Anything to help

So call the IFM
They will have a more complete practitioner list.
I can not help you on the travel aspect.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already did. The nearest practioner to me is in London, 600 miles away. Which in my medical condition is not the easiest place to go. To clarify then, as my GP has said there is nothing he can do, my only option is to try and get to this practioner while being a single parent, having average 3 anaphylactic attacks per week amongst my other illness,s?? And there is no guarantee that they would be able to help anyway? As a single parent, the financial and health implications make that journey very difficult, nevermind any return visits needed. So in effect I have not learned anything new regarding my illness or its consequences. Thank you.

That is not the only option I suggested.
Your GP can refer you to another allergist.
Another set of shots is possible as well.
That is what I would suggest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As stated in my previous answers, my GP has already stated there is NOTHING else that he or the Anaphylactic clinic can do. ALL tests have been ran. If he thought referring me to another allergy consultant would help would he not have done so? They are all based in the same place at the western infimary in Glasgow where I have attended for the past 4 years. They do not refer anywhere else and I have tried every private allergy specialist within a 40 mile radius. After a lot of money and still no answers, afetr 4 years I think its safe to say that i will have to live with this. Thank you.

I can not second guess your GP.
And in fact many allergists will give a second or even third round of shots.
You will have to make the decision if you want to pursue any of the suggestions for yourself.
I would also at least call the functional medicine doctor and talk with them.
Good luck.