DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

We have a 2 week old baby boy who seems to be constantly straining.

We have a 2 week old baby boy who seems to be constantly straining. He tenses up very tight and gets very hot. Some bad spells can go on for an hour or so. He is breast feeding and is changed very regularly and the mid wives have mentioned colic but the Osteopath said it wasn't. We are constantly trying to wind him with no relief. He seems to be getting worse and seems to be in terrible pain. We are considering going to a private specialist. Can you help?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
He needs to have a pediatrician exam his anal sphincter....
Sometimes this can be abnormally narrow and need to be dilated.
This is one possibility.
Colic is a more common problem.
He needs an exam however, since there are also stomach and bowel problems that can occur in newborns, although you are not describing these symptomatically.
I would get him to the GP immediately, and as for a referral if needed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.