Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a good friend who is a doctor - who thinks I may have

I have a good friend who is a doctor - who thinks I may have had a nervous breakdown
I feel tired all the time & cannot make up my mind about anything
I cannot seem to get on with anything - I just can not be bothered
I have no interest in anything including myself
I feel I am changing the way I think about doing things - not bothered if I do or if I don't
Also can not be bothered to eat & sleep patterns all over the place
I just feel someone has turned a switch off inside me
please help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off, the term nervous breakdown really isn't one we use in medicine--that's more of a TV and movie term. Can you tell me how long this has been going on? When you say you've spoken to your doctor recently did you discuss any of this with him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am wary of talking to my gp at the moment I was hoping for help to see if this a true condition

and are my feelings correct

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Jann--how long has this been going on? And do you have family or someone you live with? If so, have you discussed this with them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

I thought I had paid to get an answer to my question

about nervous breakdown

you seem to be ignoring this -

I thought this was a web site to get help

will report this and get my money back from PayPal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Jann, I do have an answer for you and we can continue after this but I was just trying to get some more important information first. This sounds like you have a clinical depression problem--not really a nervous breakdown but certainly a serious condition that is affecting your life. You definitely need to talk to your doctor about this and if I were he I'd consider starting you on an SSRI antidepressant like Zoloft but I'd also refer you to a clinical psychologist for therapy sessions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been through all of this but now I just feel someone has turned a switch of inside me

I am not ready to see my GP as I have not lived here long and I do not know how to tell him

I have had depression for a long time due to miscarriage - death of parents and supporting my husband when his job took him all over several countries

my problem has increased and before I see my Gp I would like to be made aware if this symptoms relate to a nervous breakdown

I really would like to know

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well this could all be related to your miscarriage and the death of your parents and the situation with your husband and maybe just now this has all come to a head. If you'd like, yes, I would equate this with a nervous breakdown and it really is time to get serious help for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I tell my Gp all of this

do I tell him what I have told you - most GP (UK) are very good but I am not very good at putting things into words face to face

thank you so much for just getting me this far - just wish now - how to take this to my GP

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Jann and I do feel for you. The best advice I can give you is just sit down and be completely open and honest with him. The metaphor of a switch being turned off is excellent--this is a problem where your energy and soul have been put to sleep and you are in the dark. Let him know how much this is affecting your daily life and that you feel like a drowning person who needs a lifesaver thrown to them. Take care for now but be sure to let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what can I do to help myself

Doctors appointments normally at best 7- 9 days unless it is serious your help on this would be valued

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'm reluctant, in a since, to look like I'm prescribing online without your actually being my patient, but St John's Wort is a natural SSRI that might help you for now. That said, you should just fight this as best you can for now until you can talk to your doctor. There's no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed about this--this is a legitimate medical conditions just like diabetes or high blood pressure and it needs medical treatment
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.