Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My mother was prescribed 5mg of lorazepam , 2.5 am and 2.5

Customer Question

My mother was prescribed 5mg of lorazepam , 2.5 am and 2.5 pm per day and also 50mg of trimipramine once at night and also 2.5 mg of lisinopril , also 20 mg pantopazolem and 75 mg of clopidogrel all prescribed daily . When I found out her prescribed doses and questioned the doctor , he cut the dose of the lorazepam from 5mg to 2 mg within one week .through discussions with various health profesionals I feel that the dose of lorazepam was excessive and in my mind , reduced her capacity to fuction every day routine tasks ,please advise
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How old is your mother and why was she getting the lorazepam and the trimipramine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 66 and I am not sure why she was being prescribed . I am her power of attorney so I assume I can access the info ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well if I had to guess I'd say it was perhaps for a combination of depression/anxiety and maybe a sleeping problem. Yes, for her, a total of 5 mg per day would in my mind be excessive and I myself would question for the need for it at all since at best it can be used short-term for anxiety problems. If she did have an anxiety/depression problem I would consider a low dose of an SSRI like Zoloft but I would also get her into therapy sessions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a feeling that she might have been have been on this dose for a number of years. Do you think this is ethically/medically correct ?I do not believe that she should have been prescribed these meds in the dose given and might have benefited from not being on this dose as long as she was .I feel there has been an element of neglectv
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well there's no ethical problem here and the lorazepam would not be considered medically incorrect if the correct diagnosis was made. The good news is without the lorazepam she should recover her ability to live normally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why cut the dose so radically ? The doctor did this one day after my father died and on the night he died , my wife , a nurse, and various medical people , are questioning my mothers doctor , what should I do ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well I personally would have tapered her off over the course of a month rather than cutting the dose by half. I do think there's a question about this doctor's ability to treat her properly here and it might be a good idea for her to get another doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok how would I now put this to her doctor ? I would like an explanation from him so I can explain this to my mother. Is he obliged to justify his actions ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't have to justify his actions to you without your mother's express consent but you have the right to approach him with your questions. I would ask him what diagnoses he was using to justify the medication and why he picked that specific medication and then why he suddenly halved the dosage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry doc got her age wrong , she is 76 ... Not 66 !
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
David--even more reason for me to say lorazepam wasn't appropriate for her. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you