Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

i am a fit 54 year old just recently diagnosed with mitral

Customer Question

i am a fit 54 year old just recently diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation that will require surgery - a repair of the valve seems possible but i need a TOE test and an angiogram i have been told. My angiogram is coming up in 2 weeks - i went for pre test assessment today and was surprised to find that an angiogram does carry risk of 1 in 1000 getting serious complications/death. I am wondering if i want to take this risk as i understand that an angiogram is for coronary problems with the heart and i have not been diagnosed with coronary heart problems - so why do i need this procedure i am asking myself. What are your thoughts please on this and the risks associated with this test.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you need the angiogram to have the mitral valve surgery repair.

Dr. David :

getting the mitral valve repaired is worth that 1 in 1000 risk

Dr. David :

your doctors don't want to be surprised by any blocked arteries in your carotid arteries.

Dr. David :

the only way to be sure they are open and flowing properly is with an angiogram procedure.

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

if i am a generally fit 54 year old then would the risks from an angiogram be lower as i have no history or heart disease?

Dr. David :

yes, those risks would be lower.

Dr. David :

and the risks are lower in the hands of an experienced cardiologist

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

so are you saying that i can not have the mitral valve repair without the angiogram? I also need what is called a TOE test as well

Dr. David :

your surgeons are saying you can't have the mitral valve repair without the angiogram.

Dr. David :

I agree with your surgeons.

Dr. David :

toe is transesophageal echocardiogram.

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

if i dont have the mitral valve repaired is that ultimately a life threatening condition?

Dr. David :

well the mitral valve will be weak and your heart efficiency will continue to decline.

Dr. David :

and your heart will work harder and harder to pump the same amount of blood your body needs.

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

why do the surgeons need to know about my coronary blood supply through the angiogram ahead of mitral valve surgery?

Dr. David :

they need to know the heart will not loose blood supply during the stress of surgery.

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

is there any way you can do a non invasive angiogram - i see online that you can do a CT angiogram? But is that widely available and is it as good as regular angiogram?

Dr. David :

no, it is not as good as a regular angiogram.

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

ok so what you are saying is that the risk (which seems quite high to me of serous complications) is worth it to enable the mitral valve surgery to go ahead

Dr. David :

those risks are an over-estimation of the risks

Dr. David :

the actual risks from an angiogram procedure are lower than 1 in 1000

JACUSTOMER-vhx2vyew- :

ok many thanks Dr. David i found your responses extremely helpul - and i wish you a good night

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below .

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

thansk.