Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My daughter is 32 weeks pregnant with a terrible cough/cold.

Customer Question

My daughter is 32 weeks pregnant with a terrible cough/cold. The cough is so bad that it makes her sick. She will not take a any medication, ie, paracetamol due to the pregnancy but has a temperature of 38.7c
She is also working full time & has an 18 month old son who also has the cough/ cold & is awake frequently during the night. Please can you advise. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Unfortunately there is not much you can do if you will not take medication. This is a very unwise choice on her part.

Dr. K. :

Has she had a flu shot?

Dr. K. :

This is a high fever given the pregnancy, and she needs immediate medical attention.

Dr. K. :

She needs medication such as acetominophen or paracetomol to bring down the fever and likely antibiotics.

Dr. K. :

If influenza is suspected, she may need an antiviral medication.

Dr. K. :

Not using medication to bring down a fever in pregnancy can lead to brain damage and preterm delivery. Not treating infection can lead to infection in the placenta and loss of the baby or early delivery.

Dr. K. :

Its not wise to do nothing

JACUSTOMER-0hbppmm4- : Thank you for this information. The rating was because I was unable to veiw the answer & not because of your information.
JACUSTOMER-0hbppmm4- : My daughter has already taken paracetamol but it has not brought down her temperature. She has an appointment with a regular gp tomorrow at 10.15 am. It is now midnight uk. Do you think this is ok or do we need to go to A&E which seems extreme for a cough/cold? I feel that she has a probable chest infection but in the uk they are reluctant to give antibiotics unless your dying. Probably due to overuse in previous times. Both my grandson ( 18 months old) & daughter now have dreadful coughs & both have temperatures over 38%. My grandson is fine taking paracetamol to reduce temperature & is taking fluids fine. My pregnant daughter is coughing so much she is vomiting. Can I wait until morning surgery. Advice please.
Dr. K. :

No I reallly dont think you should wait if the medication did not bring her temp down.

Dr. K. :

Take her to the hospital

Dr. K. :

I would appreciate if you would give a positive rating, as it does rate my service