Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I had unprotected sex 5 weeks ago and am concerned I may

Hi, I had unprotected sex 5 weeks ago and am concerned I may be pregnant.
I took the morning after pill the next day, and had a period 2 weeks later. However I later learnt that I was ovulating during that time and understand the pill may therefore not have been effective? I did a home pregnancy test 2 days before the bleeding began which was negative.
Since then I have had dizzy spells, muscle pain, lower back ache and fatigue. Is it possible I am pregnant despite having a period? Could these be symptoms of another STD?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like. I don't know the source of your information but the morning after pill can still be effective in preventing pregnancy even during the ovulation period. That said, it is never 100% effective. Since you had a period two weeks after the unprotected sex it would be highly unlikely that you are pregnant and at this point if you were a pregnancy test should register positive. As for whether you have an STD, without any vaginal or urinary burning or vaginal discharge, that would also be very unlikely. Your symptoms may be a sign of a viral illness like the flu or a low thyroid condition so I would suggest you see a doctor about that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I took the pregnancy test 2 days before the period so I hope this wasn't too early. I have been very stressed lately and my glands are swollen so perhaps it is something viral.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That shouldn't have been too early but you can reconfirm that you're negative with another one now Robyn. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you