Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Seem to have an inflamation or swelling in the upper throat,

Customer Question

Seem to have an inflamation or swelling in the upper throat, somewhere near the adams apple. (i am a 64 year old man). Was singing last friday at karaoke. Seemed to inflame after that. Its uncomfortable and i am concious of it when i swallow. Not affecting breathing. Lozenges dont seem to work to well. Also part of the throat there seems dry and food does sometime get stuck there . It feels like an inflamed gland somewhere near the tonsils. Which incidentally were removed at childhood. Is it an infection or something that needs to be further investigated? I am a bit worried in case its polyps
Thankyou Rob Jack
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off, this never was a problem for you before last Friday? Any problem with indigestion or heartburn in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do suffer from heartburn and take proton pumps when its bad.(Lanzoprazole) Which is not everyday though. I think i have had similar before but not for as long as 6 days

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Robert but important question--prior to Friday you never had these symptoms before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No not prior to friday

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Then you can put the worry about vocal polyps to rest then. It most likely is just a viral pharyngitis but since it's been a week now you should see a doctor for an exam and possibly antibiotics for a bacterial infection of your pharynx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you Dr Chip. At least i feel relieved about that

Regards ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Rob--call on me anytime