Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

A few weeks ago I came down with flu like symptoms including

Customer Question

A few weeks ago I came down with flu like symptoms including shivering and diarrhoea, I spoke to my doctor who suspected food poisoning and advised it should clear up after a few days, after a week I felt much better then a week later I felt bad again. On Wednesday I was asleep and woke due to feeling sick I then went to the toilet and was sick 4 or 5 times, I have also noticed that my stools are lighter then normal, like a light brown colour / clay colour and I noticed one time last night that there were small traces of what looked like blood in the stool. What could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Any abdominal pain and did your doctor get any blood work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No blood work and no real abdominal pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK David. Two things here. You need a stool culture at this point since you may have a bacterial colitis as with E coli or salmonella and you'd need antibiotics for that. That said, with the change in the stool colour you need a ct scan of your abdomen to check for gallstones and to see if there's a problem with a stone blocking your common bile duct since if the bile flow is obstructed that would may the stools clay coloured
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are more a light brown colour than clay coloured, could this be due to a parasite from food poising?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Not a parasite problem but probably a bacterial one and you just have some rapid transit of your stool through your colon. But a stool for culture, ova and parasites would cover all the bases
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help. I have an appointment on the 15th to see my doctor, is this ok or do you think I need to see him soon for some antibiotics ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I would rather see you get the tests sooner David but probably there's no problem to wait until you see your doctor in another ten days. For now one thing you can do for yourself is to take daily lactobacillus probiotics. Let me know how things go and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I brought some Yakult today is that ok?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exactly what I was talking about David. While I can't be certain it will clear everything up it's worth a try until you can see your doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still having problems, the doctor has requested a stool sample and blood test, the results hopefully should be back next week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did he have anything to say David?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said it could be a viral infection but wouldn't know for sure until we done some blood tests and a stool sample.
The more I'm reading of the condition Giardia the more I believe this is what I could have.
I have paid in my abdomen, lots of excess gas, diarrhoea, nausea, loss of appetite.
I will have to wait for the results to come back before I can get anything done which is frustrating.
Do you thing Giardia is an option?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Giardia is definitely a possibility David but both bacterial and parasitic enteric infections produce almost identical symptoms. Let me know the results of the test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do, thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care until then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,
Firstly thanks for your help so far with my problem. I have started to get persistent pain in the lower left quadrant which also travels up to the rib area sometimes. Is this pain normal for Giardia or a bacterial infection?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It could be either David