Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hii notice that I'm going to the toilet5-6 aday to pee and

Customer Question

hi i notice that I'm going to the toilet5-6 aday to pee and it is not a lot coming out about I/2 cup full, can you let me now the cause. I also have hyper tension.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of increased urination of low volumes is an infection, usually of the bladder (called cystitis or a UTI), but also can be an infection of the tube that drains the bladder (urethritis) or of the kidneys (pyelonephritis).

Although less common, there are some other problems that also can be the cause, such as a chronic irritation of the bladder called interstitial cystitis, or primary problems affecting the muscles of the bladder, such as overactive bladder.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, although some doctors may choose to initially use a course of antibiotics to see if the symptoms improve. There is no over the counter alternative for antibiotics, but some people suggest the use of a supplement, D-mannose, although there is no clinical evidence to rove its effectiveness.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

has this has anything to do with my prostrate and the fact that I'm blood presurer tablets.

It is possible that there could be an infection of the prostate that could be causing such symptoms. Benign enlargement of the prostate can also cause urinary symptoms. It is more common to cause difficulty in passing urine, but it can cause more frequent urination.

It is not common for blood pressure medicines to cause increased frequency of urination, but it can sometimes occur with certain medicines.