Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I have missed my period, not pregnant' it is about 5 days.

I have missed my period, not pregnant' it is about 5 days. I am never late. Always on time
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

There are lots of reasons for skipping periods. Most women skip a few during their lives at time of stress for example. Other reasons for skipped periods include eating disorders, excessive exercise, thyroid disease, various medications, polycystic ovarian syndrome and others.

Dr. C. :

So proper diagnosis depends on more details. If it's just happened once, we usually just have you watch it. Things often go back to normal by next 1-2 cycles. But if the skips continue, then we take more history, run some lab work and come up with a reason.

Dr. C. :

It would help to know how old you are? How much do you weigh? Are you taking any medications?

Customer:

So, what d you suggest'

Customer:

Sorry if I am taking time

Dr. C. :

For now, as long as you know you're not pregnant, then nothing. Most often things go back to normal. It's very common to have a skip from stress.

Dr. C. :

But if it continues, we usually check a thyroid and prolactin hormone level. And other hormone levels depending on the situation.

Dr. C. :

For example, your age and weight are especially helpful and also medications or medical issues.

Dr. C. :

That gives a better clue as to what could be going on.

Dr. C. :

But a single skip we usually do nothing. If it repeats, then we start investigating cause.

Customer:

I am 9 stone and 5 ft 2

Dr. C. :

So very normal weight.

Customer:

I am scared it is hormonal, iI dontdon't want to get into menopause

Dr. C. :

Is there any other way in which you haven't been feeling well. How old are you?

Dr. C. :

A single skip doesn't mean menopause is around the corner.

Customer:

40 years, never been able to get pregnant

Customer:

I am highly stu

Customer:

iI am highly stressed at moment

Dr. C. :

So it's hard to say. If it repeats we would check thyroid and prolactin levels and perhaps FSH and estradiol levels to see if it seems like early menopause.

Customer:

Is there anything iI can do before resorting to tests.

Dr. C. :

Well it's just been one skip so for now there is really nothing to do.

Dr. C. :

If it happens again, what to do next depends on the testing to determine the cause.

Customer:

Is there any foods or fruits I can eat to help my thyroid

Dr. C. :

If it's not related to an eating disorder or excessive exercise and you're of normal weight, there isn't much of a cause that can be controlled.

Dr. C. :

We don't know that your thyroid is off.

Dr. C. :

Eating a healthy diet and getting a moderate amount of 5-7 days per week exercise often allows the body to heal itself.

Customer:

Sounds fair' should iI get the tests and then get back to you'

Dr. C. :

There is some research that a b vitamin called myo-inositol can help ovulation in women with a condition called pcos.

Dr. C. :

There is decent evidence that acupuncture can help even in situations of early menopause.

Dr. C. :

So if the skips continue and you want to try something on your own, acupuncture would be the most likely to help.

Dr. C. :

It has a fairly strong endocrine effect on the hormone system that controls the menstrual cycle and fertility.

Customer:

I love complimentary therapy so it sounds good and the b vit

Dr. C. :

ok, I'm glad I was able to come up with some suggestions that work for you.

Dr. C. :

Anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

Thank u' iI feel more in control now and will definitely try your suggestions, how do iI save this info

Dr. C. :

I believe you'll get an email once you give a feedback rating. If not you can try to cut and paste it into a Word document. That should work too.

Customer:

It been lovely chatting to you'

Dr. C. :

Glad to help. I aim for excellent service.

Customer:

Thank u, will try all your suggestions,

Dr. C. :

Please remember to leave feedback. Thanks and have a good rest of the weekend.

Customer:

I will definitely will

Customer:

Sorry I am trying to save, so please ignore me

Dr. C. :

:)

Customer:

Tablets r difficult to work with

Dr. C. :

Ok, if you just say that you want to give me excellent feedback then customer service will do the rest.

Customer:

I thought I did