Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Good morning, yesterday having arrived home from driving to

Customer Question

Good morning, yesterday having arrived home from driving to the local supermarket and carrying a bottle of coke and a bottle of milk I suddenly went completely blind in my right eye - I found this very frightening! I sat and tried to 'relax' and after about 3 or 4 minutes my sight gradually returned. I declined offers to take my to A & E but should I have gone? I am 69 female with treated high blood pressure and 'prediabetis' (reading 43).
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You definitely should have gone to the ER.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I mean emergency.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why I say that is because become blind in one eye and then the eyesight recovering could most likely mean that you are had what is called as 'transient ischemic attack', also called as a ministroke.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can happen again and you will require complete evaluation preferably by a neurologist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This happens because small clots are being thrown by some part of your body, most commonly the large blood vessels of the neck i.e. the carotid arteries. These clots block the artery that supplies blood to the retina which leads to blindness. This loss of vision settles in a few minutes because the clot dissolves before it has caused permanent damage.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So you should be seen by your GP ASAP and referred to a neurologist for complete evaluation and to try and prevent further episodes and to try and also prevent a full blown stroke.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below as it is only then that the money that you have deposited with the website is released.
Do let me know if you have more questions.