Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi, Over the last 3 weeks I havent been able to sleep longer

Over the last 3 weeks I havent been able to sleep longer than 2-3hrs. I wake up and its impossible to get back to sleep. I find it amazing that I don't feel too tired but I don't feel refreshed either. Also for the last week I been expericencing night sweats. My bed clothes and sheets are soaked and leaves me cold. This happens until about 5am then calms down.
Not sure if it related but I have very little interest in sex and have noticed a decline in my sex drive for the last 4 years. I am into my first month of not smoking. Having suicidal thoughts and am quite stressed. As a result my diet is suffering. I am 36 male of Chinese Asian background. Please can you advise?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has any blood tests recently or in the past?

JACUSTOMER-kgtydo74- :

No. I havent seen a doctor for a long time. I'm always too busy hence contacting you on here.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am pretty certain that with the symptoms that you are mentioning, that you are having anxiety.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

All your symptoms that you mentioning can be part of anxiety.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you need to be seen for thisl

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Medications like citalopram or escitalopram will help.

JACUSTOMER-kgtydo74- :

Ok thanks. Is there anything I can do other or as well as taking medication that will help. As far as I can remember Ive always had problems with getting to sleep. My mind wont shut off which I suppose is related to anxiety again.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that another thing that you can do, which I advise my patients very often and is pretty effective, is that I would like that you should do some exercise half an hour before going to bed.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This will help tiring your body up a little and will most likely help you sleep a little better as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Counseling sessions with a psychologist will also help.

JACUSTOMER-kgtydo74- :

Great will try that . Also are these drugs u mention to be taken for a short period or will I be on then for ever.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It depends. Usually they are given for at least three to six months.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They can be stopped gradually after that if you are feeling great.

JACUSTOMER-kgtydo74- :

Ok Thank you Doctor. I'll make an appointment 2mrw. Thanks Again.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One more thing. The exercise before going to bed. How vigorous should it be and for how long?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
You can do it everyday.
The severity varies from person to person and you have to assess your fitness and then schedule an exercise program according to your body.
Let me know if you have more questions.