Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My partner has had a throbbing pain in the main joint of his

My partner has had a throbbing pain in the main joint of his big toe for a couple of days. The pain is now moving into the arch of his foot. He can't remember banging it. He cannot walk on it. What do you advise? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is there a change in the color of the skin?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is it swollen as well?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has she had similar pains in the past? or is this the first time?

Customer:

There is no change in skin colour but it is slightly swollen. It feels tight and the skin is painful to touch. He says he might have had trouble with it about a year ago but he can't remember it in his big toe. He has had pains in his other toes during the winter if he wears certain work boots. He is on his feet a lot and works outside.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are two possibilities here:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The first one is chilblains and this can affect one or more toes, and this seems the most likely possibility considering the weather.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Chilblains usually clear up after one to three weeks. In the meantime, you can take steps to ease your symptoms, including:

Avoiding cold exposure whenever possible
Keeping your affected skin warm, but away from sources of heat
Using lotions to alleviate itching and swelling
Making sure the affected skin is cleaned with an antiseptic and bandaged to prevent infection
Avoiding scratching

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Corticosteroid creams. Topical corticosteroids (hydrocortisone cream is over-the-counter) can help relieve itching and swelling.
Prescription medication. A blood pressure lowering drug called nifedipine (Adalat CC, Procardia) is sometimes used to treat the cause of chilblains, since it can help open up blood vessels. Another medication that helps improve blood flow that may be prescribed for chilblains is pentoxifylline (Trental).
Infection prevention. If your skin has broken, treatment also includes cleaning and protecting your wounds to prevent infection.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The second less likely possibility is that of gout.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

For that she would have to have her uric acid levels checked by testing her blood.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer:

Yes thank you. So do you recommend that he treats it as chilblains and if it doesn't clear up within a couple of weeks then consult his GP?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Sorry about the typing error, wanted to say 'he' rather than 'she'

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that he should treat it as chilblains and if it persists then consult GP.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok then.
You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Customer:

Many thanks :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine