Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am suffering addiction I need help in overcoming my

I am suffering sexual addiction I need help in overcoming my problem. What can I do?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you tried seeing someone i.e. a psychologist or psychiatirst?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are medications available like fluoxeine or paroxetine or other medications belonging to this group that can help reduce your sex urge or libido.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you have anxiety and/or depression these medications will help with that as well.

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

No not yet have been looking so many not sure what to do?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should be referred to a psychiatrist and psychologist. I would like that something like fluoxetine should be tried in your case.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am hopeful that it would in your case.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the two main facets of treatment are psychotherapy and medications like fluoxetine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Group therapy, family therapy and support groups may also help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) decreases testosterone production and helps control the obsessive thoughts associated with sexual addiction.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So this is another option.

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

I understand psychotherapy but what is fluoxetine? Group therapy is. An avenue not thought about.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Fluoxetine is a medication that belongs to the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and is an antidepressant.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This is a medication that also reduces sexual desire as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Which is why it can be used in people Hypersexual Disorder.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Group therapy involves regular sessions with a small number of other sex addicts. The sessions are led by a therapist or addiction counselor. This type of therapy can be very beneficial.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

If I spoke to my go would he be able to help with my problem

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

the first thing to do is to talk to your GP and ask him to refer you.

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

My problem has been with me over many years and the relationship I have now with my partner is on the point of breaking up. She has asked me to leave home which I can understand. She has known of my problems asked to get sorted but I have been in denial. Do not want to breakup?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand,

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This is a very difficult situation.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should try your level best to get this sorted out like I mentioned and you do need professional help.

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

I now no what a fool I have been treating her with not getting problem sorted. But I feel even more disappointed with myself not seeking treatment before.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand. I would have felt the same way.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions or anything else that I can help you out with?

JACUSTOMER-wxqcxhgn- :

Thank you for your time it has helped. I will first seek help from my gGP and take it from their?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes exactly.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and insist that you need to have it treated and be persistent and be determined.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am very hopeful you can get this treated if you are determined and persistent.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards