Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Late Sept - Gastric bug with vomiting and watery stools. Temperature

Customer Question

Late Sept - Gastric bug with vomiting and watery stools. Temperature up at 39.4 during night. 2 days of feeling rough and then ok.
However, in the following week or so, legs felt very weak and heavy
October - on and off sniffles for 2 weeks and then a chesty cough (yellow phlegm) but no runny nose. On seeing GP, was told it was a viral infection and to wait for it to take its course.
During that time, one week of very poor appetite, was hungry but after 2 mouthfuls felt full.
The coughing eventually stopped.
In the last 3 weeks, I have noticed an on-going shortness of breath. On occasions when there is no shortness of breath, I have moments of feeling light headed. I had for about 4 days a sensation of something stuck in my throat and as if feeling "vibrated" in upper chest. This was at times after a drink, something to eat, sometimes when neither had taken place. This has not happen for a week.
On the shortness of breath, it can happen suddenly when I am nt doing anything in particular, or when doing a low activity such making the bed. Walking the dogs is slow, finding wind on my face an added struggle to breathing.
It feels as if I can't get my lungs full and on exhaling there is like a need to do so with mouth open and blowing out. The shortness feels in the upper part of the lungs.
However yesterday, i also noticed that I was struggling to breathe deeply from the tummy. This then made me ask myself whether the problem is more digestive?
On overall digestion, I sometimes feel bloated after eating and windy. I have cut out white pasta and bread for the last week. Stools are normal but sometimes feel the need for a small stool after eating.
On average, I will wake 3 times a week with a small headache which clears with a neurone tablet.
Next to all this, it has been a year of challenges. Husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Feb, at that time we were already committed to moving at the end of Sept and committed to building work. We moved in Sept and of course the building work is behind schedule. There was therefore an element of dust floating around up to end of October. In Nov, one of my dogs was diagnosed with bone cancer and this required a rear leg amputation and therefore some nursing on my part.
I can fall asleep for 15/20 minutes 3 or 4 times during the day. However quality of sleep has been low whilst nursing and being on high alert with my dog, and therefore guess that I am simply physically tired.
I am adding this as I sometimes wonder whether part of the breathing may due to small anxiety attacks? or whether the overall mental stress, the gastric bug followed by the viral infection, my normal weight is approx 47kgs (for 1m64) and I have dropped to 44.5 which makes me very low weight and where it could be that my reserves are at all times low.
I am making an appointment tomorrow for a check-up with GP but would welcome your input of what else I should "scan" over of last weeks.
History wise, I had eosinophilie granuloma in my mid 20s and was treated on steroids. Since then, I am now 56, I have had no serious problems except occasional wintery chesty coughs. This one is however long-lasting in shaking it all off.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
This does seem like a great deal of anxiety.
Could it all be anxiety?
Thank you trish
tell me what you think about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know whether it is anxiety or not.

I have coped with acceptance at my husband's cancer, I was organised in terms of packing the majority of house in May/June so that there was not that stress during July/August of RT before move in Sept. My dog's cancer was an out of the blue and rapid decline. Taking the decision to have her amputated felt a very heavy responsibility but once I had taken the decision, I felt prepared. Nursing her has been a 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and I was fuelled by love. She is making good progress and I am therefore more relaxed. I am frustrated with building work but I have voiced it. So I can't say that I am feeling anxious or I am in denial of the stress of last few months. The not being able to breathe easily does concern me and I am getting grumpy with it!

If it is anxiety, what can be done for it? I don't feel the need for counselling, just the need to be able to function better physically

I'm very sorry for all of this Trish...husband, dog, etc. That sounds difficult
I would do a medication trial for anxiety from your GP. I recommend sertraline 50 mg a day to start.
I bet it will help
I appreciate the excellent rating.
I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/
I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anxiety does not seem to be the primary concern

GP's referral letter for chest x-ray reads "on examination, there is reduced air entry in the upper lungs, worse on the left. There is deviation of the trachea to the right."

Blood tests being carried on.

On Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg for 8 days.

What does the examination reveal? What questions should I ask? Do I need to prepare myself mentally for not so good news?

those are serious signs
what are your symtpoms now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As per my very first nite to this site. Saw GP on Monday afternoon and xray today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Symptoms are as per my first note

you need a CAT scan right away Trish