Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can any diet factors help colon cancer?

Customer Question

Can any diet factors help colon cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Yes diet plays an important role in decreasing the symptomatic side effects which occur due to treatment of colon cancer.

Please read the below linked articles to know more about the dietary recommendations, and if you have any further questions you can ask me by using reply.

http://www.hopkinscoloncancercenter.org/CMS/CMS_Page.aspx?CurrentUDV=59&CMS_Page_ID=8345F49E-9814-467C-B7F3-A68FC4c6FE96

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/bowel-cancer/living/diet-after-bowel-cancer

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

U see my dad has a pet scan and it's revealed a single liver met of 16 mm and 1 aortocaval node if 10 mm which is a met. Prior to this he had surgery in march for colon cancer where the tumor was removed and was dukes c1.

he has started folfiri .

i waned to know if this treatment will be effective and what diet he should follow ?

Dear customer,

There are many variables to assess before saying whether the treatment will be effective or not. However the medication which he has started has a good response rate in most patients and hopefully it will be effective for him also.

Chemotherapy can cause digestive side effects, and to minimize these side effects the following article will be beneficial:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/side-effects/your-digestive-system-and-cancer-drugs#hints

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see . I was concerned as his cea was 8 in sept but when he started folfiri in oct his cea is now 9. If was working would cea not decrease ?

what is also survival like for single liver met and 1 node!

Dear customer,

Basically an increases in test values of CEA over time in a patient with a history of cancer suggest tumor recurrence. But serum CEA must be interpreted in conjunction with information from the clinical evaluation and other diagnostic procedures.

Each case is different and I cannot say about the prognosis of a particular case without knowing the case details. However the management options are today much better and there is improved survival and better prognosis. For example for some patients with isolated liver metastases, regional treatment approaches such as surgery may be considered as an alternative to systemic chemotherapy.

Hence when compared to the past there is a profound improvement in the outcomes of patients with metastatic cancer.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.so with 1 liver met and 1 node it's betrer than say several

liver mets?

my only issue is if this chemo is working as his cea has gone up by 1 point?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the prognosis is better with only one lesion. An elevated CEA should be confirmed by retesting. However a 1 point increase in not worrisome as the CEA can go up or down a little, but what is important to look for is whether there is an upward trend over time, or if there is a downward trend. Based on this we can say whether the given treatment is effective or not.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He had xeloda after bowel surgery to clear any cells but these 2 mets still appeared, assuming xeloda did not work right?

if that did not work , would this folfori not work too ?