Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Hi I'm Mary.got gel shellac manicure twice.where my fingers

Hi I'm Mary.got gel shellac manicure twice.where my fingers under the UV lamp several times to dry nails.my own nails.since last time tips of fingers tingling like pins and needles.very annoying.my nails feel weak.should I stop the gel manicures.will this go away without treatment.trying to grow my nails so was recommended the gel polish as its so hard.what can I do thank you
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Dear *****

Customer:

I amCustomerand I would be glad to assist you today.

Customer:

You should stop using shellac manicure.Though it cannot be said with surety that this manicure caused the tingling but the manicure process may be involved

Customer:

Wait for a couple of weeks to see if it resolves.If the tingling does not get better other possible causes would need to be looked into

Customer:

The most common cause in ladies is carpal tunnel syndrome where the median nerve comming into hand gets compressed at level of wrist

Customer:

Your doctor would be able to diagnose it by examining you and if needed by further investigations like EMG/NCV study

Customer:

Till that time try to keep your hands warm using hot water fomentation

Customer:

That is soaking the hand in warm water

Customer:

You may also use a splint to keep the wrist straight known as cockup wrist splint

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.never had the tingling feeling til I started using the UV lamp.and had the feeling I couldn'twait to get the gel polish off.so it ddidn't help.how can I make my nails strong

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that UV light is causing the tingling but UV exposure in general does not cause symptoms like these.

Strength of nails is usually what you are born with.Some people have thicker ones, some have more brittle ones while others may have more stout nails.

Few tips are pertinent.Keep your nails hydrated by using moisturizer on your hands and fingers regularly.Keep yourself well hydrated by taking lot of fluids regularly.Take fruits and vegetables regularly as they provide micro nutrients to keep nails healthy.Do not keep chipped nails.File the nails regularly and file them in one direction.

Get yourself checked to rule out thyroid disorder as thyroid disorders can cause the nails to get weakened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have hiatus hernia with years.last few days its giving me hell burning taste in mouth gnawing pain in stomack full uncomfortable feeling.I'm 19 stone now as my diet is awful eat loads chocolate.I am a free and can't b sick.please help me cure it quickly.what I should and shouldn't eat.I want to get healthy again and lose the weight.but can't function with this hernia at the moment.I take medium.can I get something better.please help thank you mary

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****

It is site policy that you have to open a new question for a query separate from your earlier one.

Please do so as I would not be able to answer your fresh question in this thread.