Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

hi , my mam has been recently diagnosed with Amyloid angephathy-

Customer Question

hi ,
my mam has been recently diagnosed with Amyloid angephathy- i have my doubts about this diagnosis and wonder where to turn.
The nurolgist had told us two weeks before that it wasn't this and then last week told my mam this is what she had.
He has not told any family member what to expect or told her anything about what medicines eg painkillers etc to avoid.
Ps Her kidneys appear to be affected lately and just wondered if you could shed some light.
Laua
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm happy to help.
what symptoms does she have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she had a bleed on brain - saying that what we were told was "that it looked pretty serious", hence why they told us it was a tumor first . at present she has full memory , full speech and is completly mobile. Occassional she wets herself as she dosen't reach bathroom in time. From her first stay trip to A & E she was confussed and had high BP. she is now taking BP tablets and Cholestral tablets that is it.

She was on 20mg of steroids and is off them from last Thursday, she is a bit withdrawn the last few days and doesn't want to get out of bed or has no interest in anything. this is just not my mother

That could be withdrawal from steroids
How did they make the diagnosis of amyloid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent Question?

The diagnosis was made originally after a MRI scan was sent to Beaumont which would be the specialist Nurology hospital in Ireland. We were then put under the care of a Dr Hennessy who is Nuro guy in region, he told us two weeks ago that it wasn't amylopodis and tehn on wednesday told my mam is was amylois angephaty( same thing right). the tests they were doing- were mri and blood tests

My understanding is that brain biopsy is needed to confirm this diagnosis.
that seems like the next step if they are really considering this.
It is extreme but how will we ever know the true cause.
There can be suggestions of this on MRI but biopsy is the definitive test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would you suggest a second opinion?

a biopsy is a bit too risky in my opinion but i feel that we are left in limbo with this diagnosis, in terms of what to expect and look out for etc

Yes, I absolutely would Laura
If you are not comfortable with the diagnosis, get another opinion
with something that serious, it never hurts