Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, My mother lives in France but she has to come to

My mother lives in France but she has to come to live with me in the UK because she is no more autonomous. Unfortunately she had an heart operation ( valve replacement ) years ago, she has to take an anti-coagulant called Previscan. I have been told that it is not available in the UK. Could you advise me please? The doctor in France asked me if Xarelto would do ?
Best regards
Hilaire Saint-Jacques
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The Previscan contains fluindione, which is an anticoagulant that works as an antagonist to vitamin K. The Xarelto is an anticoagulant, but it works by a different mechanism and is typically not used in someone with a valve replacement. However, there is another anticoagulant that is available in the UK that is a vitamin K antagonist, called warfarin, and the warfarin would be the best option for your mother.

Therefore, it would be appropriate for your mother to be switched to warfarin, a similar medicine to the Previscan.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr,

Thank you for the reply. I just would like to know if fluindione is not used in the UK or is it only Previscan ? Is Warfarin based on fluindione ?

Best regards

Hilaire

The fluindione is not available in the UK under any brand name. Warfarin is not based on fluindione. Both medicines work by the same mechanism, vitamin K antagonism, but they are structurally different.